1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Raspberry Pi review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm actually considering one to use as a SOCKS proxy to get around my works' proxy.
    Using my PC is a bit overkill.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I've waited months for this... they're in short supply... I know! I'll potentially ruin it by overclocking it!

Welcome to Bit-tech

I'll wait a bit longer for the software kinks to be ironed out and for them to get a few batches under the belt before getting one... but I am definitely getting one...

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Is this Gareths first review??? Nice work!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

For bit? Eermm... D'you know, I think it might be. Achievement Unlocked!

Shirty likes this.
  6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

So did you brick it, or did it survive your whipping?

7. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

a must buy !, excellent work by the foundation....

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I wonder how well it would manage as a terminal?

Good review, need to get one of these....

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Needs to run ELITE. Because it's right.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I didn't mention it in the review, but I did try to run Frontier: First Encounters in dosbox on it. The result was... Uninspiring. I don't have an official reading, but I eyeballed it at about 0.3 frames per second...

That's without hardware-accelerated video, of course. Once I've got that running, things might be very different.

Elite in a BBC emulator, on the other hand, should run fine. I might give that a go this evening, actually...

11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

This paired with an arduino = Robotic cheesecake :D

12. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

Does anyone whom is a secondary school student, or know of one, wish to own and do programming on one of these?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oSTHLvfzGM
    Was watching the youtube about it, he mentioned cost as a barrier to learning computer programming, yet left out demand, as lots of programming jobs are out sourced to foreign places in big companies in the UK.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Arduino is just an AVR, really no need for a general purpose processor when you could program a more efficient state machine on the AVR.

LOL at the article. first picture "Warning....... This product should not be overclocked." article index: "Overclocking". yep, im on Bit-tech. :D

14. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Farnell, I want my slice of Pi now!!! :D

15. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Its runs mame fine but not all the games. Just don't try and attempt to load up a CHD though it .. hahaha. tested on all the older games and was happy to see it running at sec. the only problem is heavy loaded games dont load well at all.

16. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I agree with the state machine being loaded on the Arduino (or any other AVR), but the PI could be used for heavier calculation while leaving the sensor / motor /etc to the duino :). I think we'll see nice things using the GPIO pins, just have to make the duino and the pi communicate.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Uh.... aside from the drivers, how? Compared to what? Debian's ARM support is pretty much as mature as x86, which is arguably more stable than Windows. Linux's immense ARM support is what gives it such an incomparable edge over Windows 8.

It is not the responsibility of any distro to ensure that it works with all hardware on any platform, just as it isn't Microsoft's responsibility (or obligation, for that matter) to include drivers for any device it may be connected to. Distro developers put together the OS, they don't make drivers. Unless I misinterpreted that comment, that's a pretty unreasonable point of view.

I'd bet money this won't happen, especially not for the exclusivity of the Pi. Adobe recently just officially stopped making their flash player plugin for Linux a couple weeks ago for x86 and they're already incredibly lazy with getting flash operating on Android (which is largely ARM based and a modified linux variant). Adobe will continue to update the current flash plugin (version 11) for the next 5 years, but they won't be adding any features or future releases.

Anyone who wants official updated Flash support on any platform is (for now) going to have to use Google Chrome, which I would recommend for Pi anyway.

So I'm jw, has any 3D worked on the pi yet? Because it has been proven possible that 3D acceleration works. If you're using Debian squeeze, then don't. Use wheezy or even sid - they might include the drivers and they're a hell of a lot more up-to-date.

Aside from those few points, this was a very nice review and you should do more.

18. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Looks good, would have been nice to hear some feedback about the XBMC port for it, as a lot of people will be getting them for HTPC's

Kimbie

19. Gareth Halfacree

"Aside from the drivers?" That's a pretty big aside...
    Except that the maintainers of the distributions in question are *specifically* releasing them for use with the Raspberry Pi. Sure, it's not Debian's responsibility to write drivers - but if a sub-set of Debian developers are releasing a remix designed for the Raspberry Pi (which they are, and have) then it would be nice if it had things like hardware accelerated graphics and working audio, n'est-ce pas?
    Yes - if you re-read the article, you'll see that Quake III has already been shown up-and-running on a Pi at playable framerates. It's not impossible by any means, but for someone who's bought the Pi as an introduction to the world of Linux it may as well be - at least, for now. Once the Pi-themed distro spins have out-of-the-box acceleration, that will change.
    Thanks!

20. Gareth Halfacree

I just need to get my hands on some more SD cards, and then I'll be taking a look at the various different distributions - for now I've only really played with Debian and Fedora Remix.

Tags: Add Tags