1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Griggles (formerly Barry White) - on the back burner for a while

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Carrie, 20 Aug 2012.

?

Should I paint the outside black (then varnish) or simply varnish the veneer?

Poll closed 1 Oct 2012.
  1. Paint it black

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Varnish the veneer

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Well, quite frankly, this is the last place I thought I’d be posting an opening post! So I thought if I did it past midnight I could sneak it in and no-one would notice ;)

Project Barry White ... My first, my last, my everything. My first scratch build :worried: my last scratch build :) and everything I want from an HTPC, now and for the next few years, I hope :thumb:

So why a scratch build and what’s the brief? My mini MM rig is sitting happily at my desk now connected to a nice new Dell IPS, so I have no HTPC facility in my lounge and I never wanted one in there that actually looked like a PC anyway :duh: So, the brief is as small a rig as possible (bearing in mind everything I want to cram into it), one that doesn’t look like a PC, is discreet and fits in with its surroundings, with a twist ;)

Now to materials. Seeing as I’m not a carpenter I thought I’d make it difficult for myself and use birch plywood :thumb: oh and veneer (nope, never done it :D) and part of an old case (never used an angle grinder before :worried:) and glass (haven’t got a kiln :rolleyes:) and stainless steel (got no laser cutter either :hehe:)

Finally, why am I posting this? I have a naughty habit of starting projects (i.e. my house build) and getting 95% finished, proved to myself I can do it and don’t finish it :nono: So this is to make sure I do! That and Tel’s nagged me into doing it :grr:

So where the heck to start ... how about with an old case?

I don’t believe in reinventing the wheel when there’s one with a flat tyre on it I can reuse so ... time to chop it up :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally:
    [​IMG]

Now for the side panel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back soon!

Last edited: 10 Nov 2012
  2. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

Wow, looks good! I like the glossy black! Hopefully you'll get this one finished so that we all see the buttery goodness! :dremel:

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Yep looking good so far just shows what a bit of nagging from Tel can achieve:p:lol::)

Apophis54 likes this.
  4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Cool, I'm gunna get Jeff to spam you with incessant update requests! ;) :p

Nice start, though, Carrie. I'm looking forward to this. :thumb:

5. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Thanks guys :)
    Spreadie you're assuming I'm going to be as slow as Jeff aren't you? :hehe:

Let's hope so! So have I earned my Dremel stripes - because of or despite the blood? :lol:

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

All this time and still no updates ;) off to a good start Carrie :thumb:

N17 dizzi and Apophis54 like this.
  7. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Cheeky ****** :hehe:

Apophis54 likes this.
  8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Plywood.. Metal..Veneers, what is this trickery magic a pokery ..

Postimng at midnight . I thought that was the time nocturnos geekiness awoke from slumber ? you were bound to be seen ..crack on Carrie its looking interesting ..

9. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Hello again :)

Now onto hardware, that dictates the size of my rig.

Wanting to keep this rig as small as possible it had to be ITX. But there's only one slot on an ITX and I intend to use that for my sound card, still, I wanted something better than Intel integrated graphics. I contemplated the Zotac D2700 with onboard NVidia graphics. Trouble was 1) it has an integrated cpu (so no future upgrade) 2) it had only 2 sata connectors (3gb) and 3) Zotac didn't know whether the m-PCIe slot (supplied with WiFi, which I don't need) was wired for other purposes i.e. a dual sata m-PCIe card! :jawdrop:

So after a lot of research I decided this is the mobo of choice - separate cpu, onboard NVidia graphics, supports 5 sata drives (2 x 6gb), USB3 ...., one of a pair that Teelzebub and I bought, that he used in his recent Deco'rous scratch build:
    [​IMG]

On to the cpu, right now the Intel Pentium G630 more than meets my needs for an HTPC which is not going to game and at around £40 it's cheap enough to throw away in future if I want to upgrade. But the Zotac mobo doesn't leave much room at all for a cooler, nothing beyond stock size really :(, but I'm not sticking to a stock cooler though :) I know it's yellow :( but it's not staying that colour :D Add to all that some so-dimm and we have a config :thumb:
    [​IMG]

For drives, I'm going to be using:
    [​IMG]

For DVD/Blu-ray, I'm settling on an external at present (picked up for a song from the MP :D) for the few occasions I'll need to use it but in future there will be an internal one ;)
    [​IMG]

Now I looked at pico for a psu but it's too close for comfort and if I don't build in capacity in the rig for a larger psu one won't fit later on :waah: so I went upscale.
    [​IMG]

My wonderful Asus Xonar HDav 1.3 Deluxe (without the daughter board) is going in the one and only slot to connect AV to my AV amp via HDMI
    [​IMG]

And finally to make sure it's as quiet as possible I'm fitting one of these:
    [​IMG]

Now back to work for me :(

Last edited: 22 Aug 2012
  10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Great start, and some great hardware! I can't wait for more! :thumb:

And don't worry about the blood, I got plenty of that when I was making my case, I just painted over it! :lol:

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Might not be your last Carrie, I thought the exact same thing with my first scratch build & it just took over me like a disease but an awesome disease. :hehe:

Good progress. :):dremel:

12. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Itx looks fun.. I know I said I am not going to mess about building pc's again now i have rebuilt the gamer rig.. ..blar blar.. but oooo.. ITX does look a birra fun huh ..

13. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Thanks kid. The burns from the sparks were worse than the blood :(

You've already got an itx build, Dave :rolleyes:

Thank you Wayne :)

I've got the "last" angle covered. If I mention I'm going to build another one a friend has permission to shoot me :thumb:

Last edited: 22 Aug 2012
  14. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

"Oh yeah, beautiful baby"

Seriously, nice start. :thumb: Will keep watching with interest as I have been considering building a HTPC.

Teelzebub likes this.
  15. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I have so not got a ITX.. mAtx x 2 not a ITX .. anyhow I am enjoying your build nice to see the phase "no pain no gain" in practice .. oh and in colour

16. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

You told me you had one in your lounge a small cube type :p

17. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I did no such thing

18. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Oh yes you did. Mind you I think you were drunk at the time :lol:

If you haven't got an itx now's your chance to build one.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2012
  19. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

20. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Managed to get a bit of work done to the actual case now:

One large sheet of ply, turned into box panels using my sliding compound mitre saw.
    [​IMG]

And now four sides complete, almost, with cutouts for the i/o panel, fan, sound card and storage. Power supply slot yet to come, before you think I've forgotten it ;)
    [​IMG]

I know, I'm asking for trouble using 45o butt joints :duh: but since it's my first AND last build I thought why the heck not :D

So now some fun and games with the front header cabling ;)
    From this:
    [​IMG]

Changing the LEDs (this build does NOT want red and green :nono:) and I don't want a reset switch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(I know, I wouldn't get a job as a welder :p)

To this, complete with my version of cable management! :hehe::
    [​IMG]

A thank you to Tom from Alpha3 Manufacturing for getting/giving me the 12mm AV momentary switch sample (;)) from China. Just the right size for this small build :)

Off to a friend's tomorrow to use his bench saw to finish the panels off :) Back now to redecorating my hall, landing and stairs :(

Last edited: 25 Aug 2012
    G0UDG likes this.