1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build - parts dead/dying?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Shancas1, 12 Jul 2015.

1. Shancas1

Shancas1 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, build a new pc back in may, was working great for 2-3 weeks then started shutting off and restarting every couple of days, progressing into shutting off and starting randomly several times regardless of what i was doing (although it never shut off once when i was gaming), with no BSOD or warnings of any kind.

At start of june is shut off and wouldn't start back up again or power led would glow and fans would spin for a sec before it went off again, though i can see the gpu leds are green when its plugged into wall. It seems to start 3-4 times before it wont turn on at all like its exhausted. I work away from home for weeks at a time so i had no choice but to leave it.

This is when it gets kinda weird, when i came back 3 weeks ago i tried turning it on and it did start, butt gave me a blank screen with "A2" in the bottom right corner (i have a msi motherboard if that matters), then turned off and wouldnt start again. Like is aid i work away so i didnt have time to try anything else as i had to fly off the same day.

Im back again today and it is turning on and getting to the login screen and seems like its starting up okay, but im wary of going any further and pushing it as i know its risky operating with faulty parts. So i shut it off and turned it on again a few times and it managed to turn on each time.
    What could be wrong with it?

Specs are:
    i5-4690k, Windows 8.1, Corsair CXM600w, Be quiet! pure rock cooler, WD 1tb HDD, MSI Z97 PC Mate, G.Skill 8gb ram, Samsung 850 evo SSD, Asus R9 290 DirectCU II.

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

First thing I'd try, make sure cards / memory etc. are all seated properly (ie take them out and put them back in again), make sure all power connectors are properly in place too.

If that doesn't fix it try switching off and removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes to see if that helps. You'll lose any special settings you've put in there, but if no overclocking has been done, i'd just load optimised defaults and try that to begin with.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

could be the PSU, as above say's make sure all the cables are connected and are in properly

4. Shancas1

Shancas1 What's a Dremel?

It seems to be working for the moment. Tried resetting the CMOS and removing GPU and neither worked alone. Took out all cards and replaced them along with power cables, which seems to have done the trick. I'll see how it goes and report back. Do you guys think the PSU is adequate for the system? I think the calculator on pcpartpicker said it was enough but just wanting a second opinion. Thanks.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

PSU is fine, problem IMO will be MSI Z97 PC Mate, cheap MSI boards are always ropy for me!

Would double check the memory testes out ok as well, memtest is a good tester.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

May not help but the A2 BIOS code would be the IDE detect stage of BIOS initialisation.