1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Can anyone tell me what will play back ZMP5 video codec and convert it to a format th

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ozzie, 17 Jul 2015.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Fork 'andles I wanted

Can anyone tell me what will play back ZMP5 video codec and convert it to a format that can be written to a DVD and played on anther pc. Neither Media Player or VLC will recognize it.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This suggests that VirtualDub with the DirectShow input filter will do what you want.

3. Ozzie

Scuppered me with your first salvo:))

4. Ozzie

OK this is not something that I wish to do all the time as it is only cctv recordings. I can play them using the software that came with the control card. I am wondering if there is an easier solution than trying to convert the file. Possibly play it on the screen and write it to DVD or CD direct from there in a format that can be read, any ideas?

5. Ozzie

I will give up then as it seems impossible to put a 15min avi video on to a CD unless you happen to be on a par with Einstein.

6. Ozzie

I have virtualdub now but am unsure what you mean about the filters.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Download the VirtualDub Plugin Pack, which includes the DirectShow input filter.

8. Ozzie

Hi, when I try to do that it says "Unable to detect FFDShow in your system"

9. Ozzie

I will be honest, I don't know how to do this. If anyone is willing to help I need step by step guidance.

10. Gareth Halfacree

11. Ozzie

12. Ozzie

No text there then:-0

What I meant to say was, what do I install first, Virtual Dub, The plugin or FFDShow and do they need linking up somehow. Also a safe location to download them from in English.

13. Gareth Halfacree

You already have VirtualDub installed, so install FFDShow and then the plug-in pack (which, you already found out, won't install until you have FFDShow installed.) That should be all you need.

The links I gave should all be safe, but watch out for SourceForge: it has a tendency to add ad-laden wrappers to things. Shame: I remember when SourceForce was the go-to hosting site.

I can't offer much more help than pointing you in the right direction, I'm afraid: it's been years since I used Windows for anything other than testing stuff, and I don't have any ZMP5-format videos.

14. Ozzie

Thanks Gareth, I have uninstalled VirtualDub and the plug in yesterday and did a complete clean up of all the crap I had accumulated. That is no problem, I can start the whole thing from scratch in case I had made any errors originally.

15. Ozzie

I can't get it to work as I don't know what to do with them once I have downloaded them.

16. Gareth Halfacree

VirtualDub should allow you to open the ZMP5 file and convert it to something a little more useful, like MP4. Have you read any tutorials?

17. Ozzie

Thanks again and I have tried what it says in the tutorial but I get the error message "Couldn't locate decompressor for for format ZMP5 (unknown)"

18. Gareth Halfacree

Try manually installing the DirectShow filter from here.

19. Ozzie

thanks, I have done that so what do I do with it next.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Try following the tutorial again to load the ZMP5 into VirtualDub and convert it into another format (I'd recommend MP4.) Make sure you choose the right file format when you're loading it into VirtualDub (as per the other link: "The plugin never auto-detects a file, so you will need to choose "DirectShow input driver" from the file type drop-down in the Open File dialog. I'm thinking about ways to solve this.")