1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win10 or not Win10?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MadGinga, 25 Jul 2016.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Right, really simple question:

As there is only ~4days left...
    ...would I be stupid to not take advantage of the free upgrade to win10?

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I am going to say yes. Windows 7 support will end eventually, and with Win10 model appearing to OS as a Service going forward. Once you have 10 theoretically you'll never have to get another one.
    I have been running 10 now for about a year and I have not run in to one single issue that I would chalk down to being Win10 over 7

3. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

There's less than 4 years left for Windows 7 and still got some time left although Microsoft already stopped adding newer features so you're only left with important updates - it's a good OS but dead end. It's a free upgrade too and I would take it.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I would say yes, but try to research how to keep Win 7 as long as possible before going to Win 10. I'm a firm believer in 'a fresh install or no install'.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Do the upgrade now to take advantage of the free offer, then think about what to do, knowing that you won't have to pay for W10 if you decide it is for you.

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It is my understanding that once you have chosen to upgrade, you can grab the Windows 10 product key assigned to your computer and then you will be able to perform a fresh install. Ill be able to confirm this soon Windows 10 upgrade is now 94% complete...

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

What's the position re: your Win 10 upgrade being locked to your current hardware config? Am I right in thinking that if I were to build a new PC a year down the line, I'd not be able to transfer over my upgrade of Win 10 as it'd be locked to my current setup? Would I be able to go back to my Win 7 (Retail) product key and use that to install 7 on my theoretical new computer, even though I'd upgraded it to 10?

Bloody Microsoft, making this entire process about as opaque as it's possible to be.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've swapped hardware around multiple times. It has not pestered me to use a new key yet. Even so, if it does, you just tell them the story that your motherboard died, and that you had to replace it... job done. That has never failed me thus far in all of 12 years of doing it.

Upgrade to Win 10 to get your copy validated, and then go back to 7 if you feel so inclined. It would be silly to not take the offer. :)

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

there is no reason to stay on windows 7 - its the same old story as people that wanted to stay on XP even with the launch of windows 7

10. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Looks like I better find the time to upgrade then!
    Thanks for all the input :)

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

is that really an issue though ? Apple gives very little choice when it comes to their platform and people rave about how amazing it is instead of saying wait did that just remove a choice for me ?

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Pfft. You just remove it from the ISO, full stop. I have software to do it... but I don't see it as an issue for 99.99999% of users. As above, it's hardly an issue. :D

14. Main Scratcher

Main Scratcher What's a Dremel?

Perhaps I should start a new thread instead, but I am in a similar situation with a very old Windows Vista secondary laptop (Dell XPS) bought back in 2008. Before the deadline runs out in a couple of days I have seriously considered purchasing Windows 7 in order to take advantage of the Windows 10 upgrade feature. My initial intention is to give the laptop to my sister who studies in Europe after I have installed an OS that does not lose support.

I tested yesterday however, the computer with Netflix and YouTube and realized that the videos were not playing smoothly. Framerate was poor on YouTube and Netflix videos suddenly lost complete sync. After speaking to her and mentioning it, we thought it would be smarter to perhaps purchase a completely new laptop with Windows 10 installed.

Would installing Windows 7 and then 10 on the Vista laptop make it perform better for watching HD videos or is the computer just too old and weak for it to make a difference? I am thinking as an alternative of maybe keeping it for myself and installing Linux to finally learn how it works.

If I decide not to go for Linux but have her rather buy a new laptop with Windows 10, should I still purchase Windows 7 for her separately so that she can choose which performs better? Based on the quotes, it seems you can easily revert back to Windows 7 if having tested Windows 10?

15. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

If you have an OEM version of Windows 10 you will have downgrade rights to Windows 7.

16. Main Scratcher

Main Scratcher What's a Dremel?

What do you mean? Are you saying that you can buy an OEM version of Win10 and downgrade to Windows 7? Isn't it only the other way around? Had no idea it went both ways if so.

Do you suggest I get Windows 10 for the old computer or should I try my luck with Linux for the very first time? :)

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Time for another daft question :)

If I upgrade to 10 and then roll back to 7, is it possible to "re-upgrade" back to 10 after the current window closes? If so, how?

18. GreatPretender

GreatPretender What's a Dremel?

Can't you create an install disk for Win 10 from the ISO, then you can re-install any time you like?

19. GreatPretender

GreatPretender What's a Dremel?

Can't you create an install disk for Win 10 from the ISO, then you can re-install any time you like?

20. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ah, that makes sense. Will probably give it a go tomorrow then (but will take a full backup of Win 7 first just in case the rollback goes screwy). If there's no issue with upgrading and then rolling back immediately in order to keep the option of using 10 in the future, then it does seem wise to keep options open.

One last question: how easy is it to identify your Win 10 product key, or does your Win 7 key activate 10 even after the upgrade period has expired? I know you can get your Product ID from "My Computer" but that's not the same as the product key, is it?