1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress a simple tj07 water cooling mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Paulown, 29 Jul 2009.

1. Paulown

Paulown What's a Dremel?

hi guys im new into modding, ive only done 1 case that i bought for 5 pounds on ebay and was just plain white, after a bit of cutting sanding filler and adding a side fan, etc. here it is the result...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that was on a small budget... now i open my wallet :eeek: (dont want to remember how much i spend :( ) and i bought myself a:

silverstone tj07b no window
    xspc dual bay reservoir
    laing ultra pump
    black ice stealth 360 radiator
    swiftech gtz cpu water block
    5 new fans to upgrade the case ones
    3/8 silver tubes
    screws sanding paper etc

and i allready have a:

evga 750i motherboard
    q6600
    4gb drr2 1066 ram
    be quiet! 650w
    xfx gtx 260 black edition
    ocz vertex 60gb
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Soundcard

i wont go a post loads of pictures as theres loads of silverstone tj07 mods and pictures all over the forums, ... the box, the case, taking the case apart, etc. ill just post the actual changes i made and a few close ups.

free to give ur opinion as im not a pro and didnt really had many tools like great works ive seen where the guys had garages full of tools and machinery to work with, mine was build in the bedroom and corridor.... most cutting and sanding too :wallbash:, with the vacuum cleaner next to me :)

maybe the parts are not the best, but its what been a noob does ... gets things wrong :)
    and the setup will be simple and not taking much room, and no fancy lights and bling :)
    i didnt do everything and modded more because otherwise ill i wouldnt pay the bills and i would get bored soon ... ill do some more upgrading at some point.
    the idea its ... simple, some performance results, cable management .... and keep myself busy :)

well here it is the typical picture :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

assembling some parts together

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now modding the case some ideas only know if they work when i put the all thing together, the hardware that will go inside its still running in my desktop that im using now, laptop broken ... ill tell u later why :)

cutting the motherboard tray, should help with the cable management ... and the final result

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the next picture gives the idea what conditions i had to work.

[​IMG]

and do u see that dremel? im the unluckiest guy ever :) (whats the chances of this happening)
    when i was cutting the motherboard the weather was bad .... my house got hit by lightning ... came all the way down the building and what timing i had could be away having a cigarrete of a glass of water but nooooo .... was changing the disc on the dremel ... and guess what .... being electricuted all over IT HURTS!
    took me 5 minutes to realise where i was ( and i leave in this house for more then 2 years) end up in hospital getting my heart checked .... doctor goes ... ur heart could stopped ... :eeek: :jawdrop: :worried: ... thanks! im ok now.
    by the way thats why my tv, playstation, laptop and 7.1 sound system are broken ... power surge ... and no insurance ... great!

no back to my modding ....
    my idea is to fit the triple radiator on the top of the case,
    add a grill, new holes in the case and voila

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

only know if its ok when i fit the motherboard ... will have to wait .... couldnt use the screws to hold the grill to the case beacuse would touch the radiator and not fit.

the idea its the fans pushing air and blowing it outside the case, the 2 rear fans in the case will , the top blow air inside the case to feed the radiator fans with cold air and the rear bottom fan blow air outside the case, hopefully will catch the hot air coming up.
    will have a scythe kama in the front bottom of the case blowing air inside to the graphics card, north bridge and motherboard in general.
    the front panel has 7 bays ... ill use 2 for reservoir 3 scythe fan 1 dvd 1 hard drive with adaptors... might look ok ... ah and the 3.5 hidden will take my sound card front panel like u see in my old case.

ill post more updates soon as i get them done ... and sorry for so much talking but some things i explain and no pictures yet :)

Last edited: 29 Jul 2009
  2. badje

badje boni

Hey a tj07 mod nice.
    I think you should upload your pictures to photobucket.com or tinypic.com . When you've done that you can post the pictures here trough a link like: [​IMG]
    good luck

3. Paulown

Paulown What's a Dremel?

done now ... it works :)

i just updated ... it works now, im new on this but i learn :)

4. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

good stuff so far - bad times with the electricution

5. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

yeah, sorry to hear about the electrocution and power surge.
    Good luck with this, and be sure to wear some mask while modding in that small space!

Welcome to BT, btw! :D

Last edited: 30 Jul 2009
  6. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

looks wicked mate! love those fans!

7. Paulown

Paulown What's a Dremel?

thanks guys, those fans are the enermax cluster 120mm, i have 2 be quiet! 92mm (that will be fitted outside the case) to go in the back and a scythe s-flex to replace the one on scythe kama that will go in the front.
    just have to cut a bit more in the case and then .... powder coating (lets see how much it costs :) dont know what colour yet ... maybe matte black or dark blue! and was thinking to get some acrylic to cover the side of the bays where u see all the screws and the bottom of the case (where the holes are hopefully i wont need them for now) until i get bored and modify the case again :)

8. Paulown

Paulown What's a Dremel?

just a quick update

just a quick update
    a bit more cutting grinding and sanding today, heres the result

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

should help with the cable management :)

and a little detail .... as the rear fans might get installed outside had to get a way to get the cables inside .... (top left .... less squares left)

whats the thing that the more ripped is, less holes has? .......... a net :) ok not a great joke lol

[​IMG]

and the fan to be installed at the rear .... have 2 off course

[​IMG]

now have to get more done, have to get the inside of the case painted, will take a few days as im going to a painting company in my area.

see u soon!

9. charles_h

charles_h I can has RotoZip?

Paulown, you're doing a great job - really nice work on those motherboard tray cutouts.

Keep up the good work and try not to get electrocuted anymore! :)

10. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

:sigh: I want a TJ07.....

11. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

good to see you here charles!

Paulown - loving the motherboard tray, mine turned out a little "less neat" than yours :sigh:

12. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

loooks good mate! i like it!

13. Eurofix

Eurofix What's a Dremel?

a truly electrifying mod! ;)

Bad_cancer likes this.
  14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But yeah great work in the cutouts:thumb:

15. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

I dunno if i should give you rep or slap you for that bad pun.
    So just to be safe, ill do both.....

:SLAP!!:

and

+1

16. Paulown

Paulown What's a Dremel?

lol a bit of sick humor ... i like that :) i dont take it wrong.
    thanks guys for the comments .... the 3 larger cuts on motherboard tray will have rubber edges, none of the cuttings its sharp as i used the dremel to cut, grinder to get it right and sanding to make it perfect (well, ish), a bit perfectionist .... or take my time and do it right or i dont do it at all!
    one bad thing about this mod ..... costs a fortune!!! at least to me :)

17. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I love the TJ07, one of the best cases ever, I really want one lol. Looking good so far mate, can't wait for more.

18. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

Good start, I'll definitely be following this! Love a good TJ07 mod. Glad you're ok after the lightning incident mate!

Have you thought about using the top fans to pull air through the triple rad rather than push, just for a teeny bit of extra performance?

19. Paulown

Paulown What's a Dremel?

ill try to have the top rear fan blowing air in to feed the rad fans with cold air, and maybe try the way u saying and then decide. any ideas are welcome :) the case wont have major modifications like many do, will be simple,
    dont want u to expect a mega multimillion project :) i get bored easilly and im not rich, so i leave options open for some other time ..... moneywise and ideaswise :)
    thanks guys for the comments!

20. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Nice gear! Those cuts are really neat, I had to do something similar in my Stacker as the side panel was too close to allow cables to side behind the mobo tray.