1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by weesteev, 19 Dec 2011.

1. weesteev

weesteev What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys

Would love to see you do some sort of a guide to mechanical keyboards, you put so much effort into other peripherals and always miss out these awesome keyboards! You have had 2 mechancial keyboards reviewed (Razer BlackWidow and Corsair K60 Vengeance), both of which are piles of poo! Whats the chances you could import and review some of the following in a wider guide to this type of keyboard, would be a good magazine article as well...

Filco Majestouch 104
    Leopold
    DAS Model S
    Rosewill
    Ducky DK9008
    Deck Legend
    Deck 82
    Topre Realforce

Also look at the different keycap printing styles and the different switch types (red, black, blue, brown, clear, white, topre, alps etc)

Cheers

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

dont forget to include teh unicomp keyboards and the Nopoo Choc Mini

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

The problem with keyboards, especially mechanical, is that the feel of a keyboard will be different, so some will like black switches but other might not.

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

You could say the same about mice though! Still nice to have that insight from someone.

5. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Nice idea and I'd be interested to see the results but how many of the ones you've listed are:

1) Readily available through a UK retailer.
    2) In a UK keyboard layout.

The first may look like a niggle but getting clobgbered for import duties by HMRC on something isn't fun when it crops up out of the blue. Returns are also "interesting" in case of any issues.

The second, for me, is a major issue as I'm too set in my ways to learn a different keyboard mapping now and getting the shift key rather than the \ when trying to connect to a network share is really annoying!

I'd actually love to try out the different switches myself to find which suits me best but the main criteria will still be for a lower noise variant as the incessant clicking from others would sound similar to machine gun fire in my hands (quick but very heavy handed typist).

6. weesteev

weesteev What's a Dremel?

That would be the whole point in a review, something to look at the different switch types and also the difference in build quality between keyboards. All those keyboards are readily available to UK consumers but they may have to be purchased from US and Canadian stores. Shipping plus Tax makes then comparatively priced to say a Filco purchashed from the Keyboard Co. I think this would make a really good read, you could also create videos for bit-tech online reviews.

7. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

This is a really good guide on mechanical keyboard switches here, complete with animations and explainations.

And yes, it would be a good idea to have a decent comparative review of a selection of UK style mechanical keyboards (rather than a solo review by itself which really dosn't say much). But it's too late for me. I just bought the Corsair K60 based on availability in the UK and the positive reviews it's received.