1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cherry announces new budget mechanical keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 2 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Should read "Get £15 OFF at Gadget Show Live"..

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Apr 2013
  3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The caps look awfully low profile. I wonder how that's going to pan out.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Just get a Ducky DK2108 for £70 instead. Better looking, cheaper and also available in red, black, blue or brown switches.

By the sound of it built a lot better too. If I sound like an evangelist, it's because of all the brands I've owned (most of them now to be truthful) Ducky are the best.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm still waiting for a keyboard to hit the UK with Cherry MX Green switches; supposedly the closest thing to IBM's wonderful buckling springs in a microswitch. (Yes, I know you can still buy buckling spring keyboards - but by *god* they're ugly. Whatever happened to the clean lines of the Model F?)

6. Shirty

It'll happen, they're becoming reasonably widely available in the US since CM Storm started using them.

7. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Didn't Ducky make a greens board?

8. Shirty

DK9008G2 Pro was available in greens for a spell over the pond

A beautiful thing it was too.

9. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

But greens are sooo heavy..

It looks like it's just a G80-3800 with 4 extra keys and a detachable cable. Tbh, I think it will serve anyone just as well as any other mechanical board. It's got a nifty software too. A shame the caps lock switch is placed oddly, making it hard to change the key cap.

10. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

This man has sense.

Until I try Greens, You can pry my Buckling springs (Model M's, Model F AT and M13) out of my cold, dead hands.

Even then, I may not want to stop using them, depending on the key feel.

Regards the board, I can get a K60 for less than that. I can also get far better on the used market.

11. Shirty

If you can get hold of a couple of old Cherry G80-3000s, one with blues and one with blacks, you know you can combine the stems from the blues with the springs from the blacks to make a board with "ghetto greens"? You could probably achieve this for under £50 if you got lucky on a few auctions...

12. Xir

Xir Modder

well, the G80-3000 is still sold new, so...

Cherry don't really go into key-technology on their keyboard website...shame

13. Shirty

True, but buying two new boards to emulate one would cost more than importing one with the correct switches.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Word. I picked up a Model M from the marketplace for £25 a while back, but I just can't get used to it - compared to the Model F, it just feels 'mushy.' If that's the finger-feel the Cherry MX Greens emulate, I don't want 'em.

It's a real shame, because I'd *love* a new keyboard: it's not until you have a keyboard with no dedicated cursor keys that you realise how much software isn't programmed to look to the keypad cursor keys for direction. Add into that such fun activities as having to plug a separate keyboard in each time I want to flash the BIOS (it's hard to press F12 to get into EZFlash when your keyboard only goes up to F10) and it's clear the Model F is a pain in the backside - but I just can't bring myself to use anything else, not with the amount of typing I do. I used to get carpal tunnel and RSI-like symptoms, and since switching to the Model F quite some years ago I haven't had a single problem.

15. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I rotate my boards (currently using an AT101W, blacks and the M13 is up next when I get twinges), to stop the symptoms You describe, but probably 80% of my usage is on Buckling springs. The Model F AT is by far the best in terms of feel, but it also has the highest Spousal Annoyance factor, she hates the "ping", so it doesn't stay on the desk for very long.

PS:- a customer of mine loves your co-authored Pi book.

If You fancy giving a new home to that unused, unloved Model M... ;-)

16. Gareth Halfacree

Glad to hear it!

I'm keeping it as an emergency spare in case my Model F ever dies, but it needs a bit of work: several keys aren't responding. It's on the "to do" pile, alongside the Microvitek Cub monitor, the ZX81 with the missing ULA, the Master System I was going to mod for composite output...

17. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

With all the different key types, does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to get a feel for the most suitable type for an individual?
    I would like to get an idea of the type I might prefer, but I'm not shelling out lots of cash just to try them. Would a decent PC vendor let me try them out, or should I just get some cheaper used units to try?

18. Shirty

I'd advise starting with Cherry MX brown switches.

There was a thread in the marketplace where a switch tester was being passed around to allow people to try out the different switches, but I can't find it at the minute.

EDIT: Found it!

19. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Thanks for that, I'll put myself in line (after work, of course - seems to be getting in the way of more interesting things)

20. Shirty

Don't hold your breath until we've established where they are ;)

Tags: Add Tags