1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate computers

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by StreetSam, 23 Feb 2014.

1. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Hi All.

Just had the two days from hell with my Folding machines. First, I now know why I've never had an ATI card since my 9800XT. The driver package is s**t. :wallbash: As soon as Windows updated I kept getting BSOD caused by atikmpag.sys, I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding my Windows installation as nothing I tried cured it. Then my 8-way KVM failed and took out the mains ring-main last night, causing all the computers to just die, causing a number of issues. Luckily I had a spare KVM and so I'm finally back up and running on all but the new 7970 Folder.

2. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Have to admit I have not had any BSOD's with my HD7970's. (Now that's tempting fate :lol:)

Only time they have caused a problem is when I have forgotten to turn folding off and I played a game. This caused the driver to stop responding, but windows 7 handled it ok and dint poop out on me at all.

Do you really need to use a KVM? I use Teamviewer on my boxes to control them whenever I need to and its free for non commercial use. :thumb:

Also just realised that the GPU folding is reduced if ANY CPU folding is done on the machine. I.e. on one machine I had HD7970 and i7-4770k and the GPU was getting approx. 100k and cpu approx. 25k. Now with only the GPU I am getting 144K. :duh:

Probably dependant on wu RCG. (P9401 (R1047, C0, G14) is ace :))

Anywho get that HD7970 back up. :D

3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

GPU drivers ... not the best bits of software ever written - I had problems with my GTX 780's because of the 36hr TDR bug, and I've had several problems trying to update new drivers in Linux :(

KVM's - I used to use KVM's (in fact I've still got two excellent 4-way DVI/USB Avocet units - now collecting dust) and moved to TightVNC on my network. For remote access, I used to use LogMeIn, but they have just started charging for this (outrageous!), so I'm with Scorpuk, i.e. using TeamViewer.

Not sure about ATI/AMD GPU's, but the nVidia ones certainly need a spare CPU core to get the best out of them at the moment.

4. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Yeah, they all have TightVNC installed and I do use it, but nothing beats a KVM, (I use old Compaq 8 way ones) if there is a boot problem, and the EVGA680SLI (I still have two of them) has plenty of them, I can see it immediately, I don't have to connect a keyboard, monitor and mouse. The only issue now is that I have to use a USB to PS2 adapter as most motherboards only come with one PS2 connector. Luckily the motherboards I use still have a VGA connector, I use the inbuilt GPU in the CPU as the display chip.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

+1 for headless folding machines managed over VNC/TeamViewer. I've been doing that since day one and it's the most convenient option. Just remember to set static IPs :) You're right as it is pretty useless if there's a boot time issue, but none of mine ever gave me that much trouble with startup. I could boot them up and be starting the clients on them from my phone, tablet or laptop within a minute.