1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £500 Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 16 Apr 2014.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

A friend has asked me to look into doing him a PC with £500 max budget. He needs a full rig including case, but doesn't need an OS or peripherals. Pretty much only use is for gaming @1080.

Here's my first draft, my thoughts were spend as much as possible on GPU as that will push the performance higher than coughing up for a quad.

[​IMG]

Anyone else got other ideas?

2. Thawn

Thawn What's a Dremel?

You could swap the 2120 for a 4130 for about £9 more, and swap the motherboard for a GA-H81M-D2V for approx £8 less. You'd lose some motherboard features (most notably SLI) but gain a faster processor and a current socket, with the possibility of CPU upgrades in the future. Not a slam-dunk, I like what you've put together, but I think it's worth considering a Haswell build over Sandy Bridge for about the same price.

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I agree with the above. Get a haswell 4130, it will be more future proof.

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

The FX 6300 is the budget king now.

5. Darkwisdom

Depends if he's willing to go with an AMD. Some people are still pretty biased when it comes to Intel vs. AMD.

For the money though, consider an FX 6300, it is almost the same price as the 4130 and it has 6 cores. Pretty damn fast for gaming as well, even more so if he gets Windows 8.

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

7. AlienwareAndy

Biased = silly. At the end of the day if you're that biased and that silly that you would piss away real world performance for a label and a brand you need to have a word with yourself.

It's not even like it's close. The 6300 is 30% faster than the Ivy I3, so naturally is still going to be 20% faster than the Haswell.

Put it this way. When used properly (and that means 100% of all of the latest recent games) the 6300 competes with the I5 2500k. I will leave you to ponder that for a bit.

Bungle - yeah, that's where my money would go also given I would only care about performance and figures.

8. Darkwisdom

I used to be biased as well though. Then I saw some of the latest figures in windows 8 comparing the FX chips to intels finest. The older Operating Systems just weren't coded to cope with the FX chips properly.

I'm considering either option now. Only trouble with me is that I prefer a Micro-atx set up, and AMD has no decent M-ATX boards for the FX chips. They need a Crosshair V GENE :thumb:

9. AlienwareAndy

We need just one, just one MATX 8+1. Any one would do.....

There is one board out there with 4+2 and decent VRM cooling. It's a Gigabyte and would do 4.2ghz give or take 100mhz. It's only £40 too.

10. Darkwisdom

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

What do you want for £38 delivered :p

I have that with a FX6100 sat in it quite happily at 4.2ghz.

Doesnt throttle either due to being able to turn APM off in the bios.

Pretty sure I run it at 1600, not super sure though.

12. AlienwareAndy

• Supports DDR3 1333+

I think you misread it dude. It'll run the ram pretty much as fast as you want to clock it.

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Thanks for the input guys. Not biased in amd/nvidia/intel at all, just looking for a bargain.

Have got a pretty good offer from the marketplace which will probably take up, gpu from fleabay and a few bits off scan like the case, psu and a dvd drive which i forgot to add in.