1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hrmmm ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by El Nosba, 21 Dec 2003.

1. El Nosba

El Nosba What's a Dremel?

ok, just fo kicks i downloaded CPUBench2003 and it says i have a p4a processor, and yet when i right click on my computer and do properties it says i have a celeron.

unless the p4a is another name for a celeron ( i dont really know as im more a network person than a technical specs person ) even so, try not to laugh at me too hard when you reply :blah:

2. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

so you have a P4a? if so what windows version do you have try updating it so windows reconisecs the CPU abd its name.

3. El Nosba

too be honest up until this point ive always thot i had a celeron, so im not sure which is right ( but im geussing the benchmark is right considerring it was specifically made for that sorta thing ).

also, i run XP home edition

4. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Well I thought the name for normal P4's is P4b, and ones with hyperthreading P4c, so P4a could quite well be the name for celerons... hmmmm

5. olv

olv he's so bright

A, B and C in P4 naming refers to the default FSB speed of the CPU. P4A's run at 100fsb, B's run at 133fsb and C's 200, or if u want to be picky, A's run 400, B's 533 and C's 800. If you've always thought u had a celeron and windows picks it up as a celeron then it more then likely is a celeron. The program is probably wrong, 3d mark often picks up the new Athlon64's as Durons.

6. Darv

Darv Bling!!

It should say what kind of processors is inside when you first turn on the computer.

Else if you really want to be sure you could always open it up, take off the heatsink and have a look at whats under there.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

i have a celeron II laptop and it is usually reported as a p4a by most applications, so i'd say you've a celeron :)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Celerons are basically the same "slow" core as the P4a's they run on 100Mhz (400Mhz) FSB but just have less cache. The P4 architechture requires cache, and lots of it, which is why the celeron performs so badly in benchmarks and everyday use.

Unfortunately the design of the P4 meant that the Celeron would be hopeless in comparison to AMD's budget offering, gone are the days of the original celeron where you could get great overclocks and respectable performance... the duron is the budget king! :hip:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Even though celes are uber expensive compared to durons! The problem is you have to keep the pipeline full on the celes to get any benefit out of the clock speed and extra mem bandwidth, this isnt applicable to most everyday apps that only require a few commands to be delt with at a time on the cpu before requesting something else from the PC (i think).

My brothers got a 2.4 celeron only cause i gave him my BD7II and ram as a "hand-me-down". Its alright, probably compares to my sisters 2.0a P4 shuttle (another hand-me-down).

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

it's something along those lines yeah, I was reading anandtech the other day regarding this subject of budget processors, and I'd just walked in from work :p

11. El Nosba

as always, such a helpful and friendly forum :)

thanx guys