1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F@H Systray Client Keeps crashing graphics driver

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by GazzieC, 11 Jul 2009.

1. GazzieC

GazzieC What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I'm sorry if this has been posted before but I'm having a real hard time with the Folding @ Home GPU Client for my ATI Radeon Card.

Im folding on an ATI Radeon HD3870 (I know its not the best card in the world but it does what I need it to do) but everytime I get to the 200/10000 point of a work unit the client crashes the graphics driver quite spectacularly.

The driver recoveres itself fine after a few seconds and an error comes up in VISTA saying the F@H SYSTRAY Client has enoucntered a serious error and has stopped responding I have tried using three driver packages from ATI and the same thing happens at the same point.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop this, I have tried uninstalling the client and using different Catalyst packages but nothing seems to work.

I am currently using:
    F@H - GPU version 6.23
    ATI Catalyst Control Centre Version 9.6
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

I would like to get my Dual Core processor folding aswell but at the moment just getting on item of my pc working would be a bonus. Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers Guys

2. broadcaststorm

broadcaststorm Folding for 35947!

Have you got any info on what temperature the GPU is reaching?
    Also, what power supply are you using?

3. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

What CPU do you have? A dual-core may be fast enough for the SMP client, or you may have to put up with two ordinary CPU clients. Do you plan to run 24/7 ?
    (Sorry, can't help you with the GPU, I've no experience with ATI cards)

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Don't take this offensively fella, but given the ridonculous number of problems that I have heard people reporting on here with the systray client, and the distinct lack of problems that I have had with the console client since I started folding, I suggest you switch to the console client and don't even bother trying to get the systray one working, because as far as I can see it's a PITA and a waste of time.

There's really not a lot to learn with the console client, and even if you are unsure of something there are plenty of guides out there and lots of people on here who will be happy to help you get it set up and running.

5. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

All my GPU's are Systray clients - never had any problem (mind you, I'm running WinXP32, and have never/would never touch Vista!).
    Certainly check temps and PSU usage ...

Last edited: 12 Jul 2009