1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pre-installed junk !

Discussion in 'Software' started by Behemoth, 24 Sep 2015.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I've just been reminded just how much pre-installed junk we get on a store purchased laptop these days.

I have been given by a close family friend their old laptops as they have gone Apple Mac so their old laptops were no longer required. One of them I sold pretty much straight away after making sure it was clear of any data.

The other, oddly enough I have struggled to sell. Dual Core AMD 2.3 GHz chip, 4 gig of RAM, 17 inch screen. I've had people make me very silly offers on it, on a Facebook group I was offered £30 !!

Anyway I digress from the main point I'm making I guess. After pretty much deciding I'm going to keep it as a backup laptop I set about looking at how much junk HP put on their. It's full of trials for this, trials for that, stuff the normal person would never look to use - not to mention the god awful inclusion of Cyberlink software.

Whilst I get the fact that it helps keeps costs down etc I still don't see that there is any real need for it these days when people can get free legal alternatives which do in some cases a better job of what the paid for versions of software.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Except BluRay playing software.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

With every laptop I've ever had the first thing I always do, after confirming it works, is wipe the Windows installation (including the recovery partitions) and re-install with a fresh, clean, bloat-free version.

The free software is almost always crap, almost always a version or two behind the current release, and almost always never gets used.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

5. Behemoth

Thankfully the laptop in question is too old for UEFI :)

Doing the windows 10 upgrade then going to get my code for it and then do a fresh install, bit of a PITA but meh having played with 10 and made it behave how I want it to, feeling better about the whole affair :)

6. Behemoth

It's been ages since I've delt with junk on an off the shelf system. I remember originally setting this laptop up for its original owner and he insisted it was kept as standard as possible in relation to its software if there was ever a problem he could claim under warranty.

It wasn't long after he bought it that Comet went bust - yet he still insisted it was left as it was ! Never thought I'd actually end up with it myself - looking to upgrade the RAM in it next month - something I can't do with my own main Lenovo laptop.

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Uninstalling the Lenovo crap-ware on some machines for one of our clients has turned into a very handy way of padding my timesheet recently. It can take up to 45 minutes as you have to wait through numerous uninstallers and several reboots.

8. Behemoth

After this one, I will never have another Lenovo laptop, the only reason I have kept it is because my Mrs bought it for me and she would be devastated if I sold it.