1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Mass Effect 3 Marketing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Lord Blobbery, 25 Nov 2011.

1. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Now I'm sorry about the rather bland and uninteresting thread title (and possibly the bland and uninteresting content of this post), but this has been bugging me since Bioware started marketing ME3. Normally something so obscure and nit-picky wouldn't bother me, but this one has stuck for some reason.

ME2's trailers and pre-release material seemed (to me) to be of reasonably high quality, had a wide appeal (e.g. the Dirty Dozen trailer), and the pre-release documentary bits were actually quite interesting (Sci-vs-Fi, ME2's youtube channel). Don't get me wrong, it was clearly hype designed to get people yelling "OMGMASSEFFECT2!!1!" from the rooftops, but unlike almost every other game's attempts at attention grabbing, it got me excited about the game.

Now, ME3's various marketing bits and bobs seem condescending by comparison. The (comparatively) in-depth documentary bits have been replaced by drastically-shortened and considerably shallower episodes of this Bioware Pulse thingy which in which the intro and extro bits (do not want) are so forced they might as well be trying to cram an Airbus Beluga up your nostrils. Only the announcement trailer appears to be particularly interesting, with the others appearing somewhat generic and unexciting. Then there was that FemShep thing which apparently got some people quite angry.

Am I alone in this feeling?

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Can't comment on the specifics cos I ain't seen it, but generally speaking I think over time marketing does that to people. Marketers target markets and this time I guess they haven't targeted you. Soon you'll be 30 and you'll hate pretty much you see, so make the most of it while you still can.

3. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Fair enough. It's just odd, seeing something that struck such a fine chord suddenly change to something so generic. Then again, Monty Python seemed to switch back and forth between funny and awkward with alarming frequency.

Normally I'd consider a topic such as this so anal that If I made a comic exaggeration I would probably look like a terrible person. Too interested in the ME series I suppose.

4. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Too true.

I've only just bought ME1 so the journey is yet to begin for me.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Theres no real need to market it, it'll sell by the boat load because of ME1 and 2

hence why the marketing for 3 isnt WOW!

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Valid points but you'd still want people who haven't played ME1 or 2 to look as say "hey ME3 looks amazing I might go and buy ME1 and ME2 before I play ME3"

If they could sell a game from 2007, which would be considered dead in terms of sales, that's a good thing