1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide HOW TO: cut real borosilicate glass tubing!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by eucalyptus, 21 Oct 2016.

1. eucalyptus

eucalyptus I am 19 and Swedish!

Hello my friends, Sebastian here, today I will show you how I cut my glass tubing. Yes, REAL borosilicate glass.

It isn’t as difficult as you can imagine and it must not be as expensive as you can imagine either, although the tubing costs more than twice as much as normal acrylic tubing, and you can’t bend it, except the pre-bent 90 degrees you can buy.

Anyway, it’s fun, it LOOKS fantastic and it’s much more awesome than anything else.

To the point that there isn’t a real guide, not that I could find at least, a real tutorial with “how to”. I know JayzTwoCents from Youtube made his own tutorial about this new territorium, but he uses glass tube cutters which in my opinion totally sucks!

So today I will show you :)

These are the tools you need!

*A dremel or something similar, I have a very very cheap tool I bought from a store here in Sweden, it’s exactly like a dremel, but cheaper and maybe not same quality. But it works and does the job without any problems :)

*You need Diamond cutting wheels. Mines are 19mm in diameter, you CAN NOT use any smaller!

*The glass tube itself..

*Diamond files. Metal files aren’t that good here. You need those called diamond, and I bought mines a few years back from Aliexpress for maybe 15 bucks, that is a kit of 10 files in different shapes. You need a flat one and one that looks like a half moon on the other side :)

*Some tape, I am using 19mm wide masking tape, works great!

*A pen to do the marks with.

****If you want the ends to be shiny as new when you are done you also need sand paper! I am using in the following order: 400P, 800P, 1200P and 2000P. Then you get the ends even more clear and shiny than new. The tube from factory are “flamed” in the ends, they use fire to make it shiny, and normally you don’t have a flamethrower at home….

[​IMG]

JayzTwoCents uses these in his video tutorials. But he have only used 12mm tubing, I am using 16 mm and it doesn’t work. Or it sort of does, but the results are HORRIBLE!

[​IMG]

Anyway, we start with marking where to cut the tube

[​IMG]

When you have your mark, take the pen and tube and make circle around the whole tube like this

[​IMG]

I am using this tool to rest the tube on when I am going to cut. What it’s called? I have no idea, I even forgot what’s called in Swedish… But I believe you might have one in your garage :) and I also believes it works without one.

[​IMG]

Use something nice and soft material underneath to avoid scratches and try to hit the tube with the diamond cutting wheel :)

[​IMG]

Either cut deep around it in circles till it falls off, or cut halfway and “snap” it in two pieces.

You should get a clean cut, but it’s not done yet!

Take your diamond files and take a few minutes to make it flat and clean.

Then, if you want it to look like the pictures below you need to use sand paper it should look like this.

**Notice that the tube to the left is the one I cut, and the tube to the right is factory new!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, it’s not a 110% perfect, but I am not done yet. All this took around 5-10 minutes… I could take another 5 minutes and polish it even more, or be even more accurate. But I wanted it done so I could show you :)

[​IMG]

It’s pretty fun actually. And as you can see, not that difficult :)

Any questions? Just ask and I will answer as soon as I can!

You can either send me a PM or hit me on Facebook as well :D
    https://www.facebook.com/sebastianedemalm/

Good luck

Yours sincerely,
    Sebastian :dremel:

Last edited: 21 Oct 2016
  2. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

I am impressed!!! Very Cool!!