1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling H50 - buzzing/vibrating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhoenixTank, 20 Oct 2010.

1. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I'm a little concerned about my H50. Unfortunately, it randomly starts to buzz for extended periods of time - Loudly i.e. I can hear it above my fans at full speed.
    I've looked around online, and several forums have recommended people RMA it - I'd like to avoid this if possible. Others have said there may be air bubbles in the system, though I have no idea how.

I saw some posts suggesting that it might be to do with orientation, and/or the relative heights of the pump and the radiator.
    So, I shut down, laid my case on its side, booted, and... so far so good as the noise coming from it is barely audible. However, I'm sceptical, as it doesn't usually start to vibrate immediately, and can take several hours before it starts... and I can't leave it on its side forever.

Attached a photo below - anything wrong with the orientation, etc?

Other random info/thoughts:
    In case it matters, the temps are fine, barely breaking 55C under full load with P95/IBT (I'm temporarily using stock speeds for my 980X).
    Could overtightened screws on the mount cause this?

This is my first time using any form of water cooling, so if anyone that is (even a little bit) more clued up on the quirks has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I have H50 and H70 and haven't noticed such noises (have had them installed every which way). I DO get the occasional sound of bubbles running through the system, so apparently there's always some air included.

I think it's RMA-time.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Have you checked that auto fan speed control is off in the bios? Mine reset the other day after a power outage.

I had a buzzing noise because the pump was running at a speed it wasn't meant to. Set that particular fan header to full speed again and issue went away.

4. PhoenixTank

This had been the case for me up until recently. I did replace the TIM with MX2 and re-mount a couple of weeks ago, but have only noticed the issues in the past few days.
    Again, hoping to avoid an RMA, but if I can get a refund, I guess it would be a good excuse to get myself the H70.

I have mine attached to PWR_FAN, and its speed control is off. Varying between 1445 and 1465 RPM right now.

Thanks for the posts, Jipa and Sentinel.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Which part is doing it? The fan or the pump?

6. PhoenixTank

The pump - I held the fans still and the noises continued (while all the other case fans were off).
    Oddly enough, it sounded like a fan hitting something repeatedly, so this was one of the first things I checked.

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

looking at that pic I would say turn it up the other way there might be air getting trapped at the top of the rad as it's upside down and as the pipes are at the top it's blowing back into the system. Ideally the pipes need to be at the bottom of the rad.If it is air that'll sort it out.It'll rise to the top out of the way and not get pushed back in.

8. PhoenixTank

That would make a very large amount of sense. I honestly can't remember which way up I had it before I applied the new TIM...
    I'll give it a try tomorrow - Thanks!

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Mine made a clicking sound when I first got it. One swift RMA later and its near silent.

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yeah thats what I thought.

bulldogjeff likes this.
  11. PhoenixTank

Flipped it over so the pipes are on the bottom of the rad - unfortunately no joy.
    Started vibrating again the day after I did this.

Hmm, I guess I best talk to Corsair.

Thanks for the help!

12. Hornacho

Hornacho What's a Dremel?

Hey PhoenixTank... Sorry I don't have a solution to your problem. I know with my H50, it buzzes ever so slightly but I think it's supposed to make a little noise. But it sounds like something is definitely wrong with yours if you can hear it over your fans. I have heard other H50 owners having buzzing noises if they tip there case over or flip the unit. It will make the buzzing noise for a little bit and then it should go away.

Certainly email Corsair. They might be able to help you better. I just RMA a brand new PSU and they were terrific to deal with.

Also... what kind of thumbscrews are those on the H50 radiator? The ones that attach the fan to the radiator? Do you have a link or name of the company that makes those? I have been trying to find those at some of the online stores but all the thumbscrews I see are the short case thumbscrews.

13. PhoenixTank

Yeah... since the day I installed it it has always produced a little noise, but it wasn't even an annoyance - fine to leave it on while sleeping. Not the case when I posted this.

Bizarrely, it does seem to have been quieter today... and currently can't hear it over my fans on low. Hoping it is resolved... touch wood.
    Cool, nice to know.
    I'm afraid I can't help you much there - these came with my Lian Li case. They were meant to be used with a bracket was supposed to help support large PCI-E cards, but I couldn't actually fit the H50 in while the top bracket was in there, so out it went. I lucked out there, they seem to do the job perfectly.

Had a quick look around. Not the best result, but: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2344.html

[​IMG]
    Circled them above.
    Honestly, probably just as difficult to source those specific thumbscrews as it is to get equivalent screws from elsewhere.

14. Hornacho

Hornacho What's a Dremel?