1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V New headphones/amp?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 22 Nov 2013.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hey,
    As above, I'm considering buying some new headphones to go with my purchase of a digital piano (eventually!)
    I currently use a pair of DT770 pros (250ohm) and would need something of a lower impedance to work well with the piano.

So I figured this may be a chance to try something new.

I wouldn't be looking to spend much money on them, hopefully the sale of my current pair would cover most of the cost of the new ones. On that note, how much would they go for? They're in pretty good condition, with a cable mod so the cable goes to each cup.

Any suggestions? :)

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Doesn't Beyer provides both high and low impedance version of their headphones ? The DT770 is available in 32, 80 and 250 ohms :D.

Edit: For piano, I'd advise the AKG K701 but they might be hard to drive (and are opened cans). Mine sounds absolutly heavenly with piano and classical.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2013
  3. GeorgeStorm

They do, but I figure if I'm going to have to sell my current ones I might as well try something new :D

I've got a pair of Q701s but found the headband really uncomfortable, do the K series use the same one?

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

From the look of it ... I'd say yes. The K701 feels comfy on my head, but I guess it might vary between users (we aren't all built the same :D).

A friend of mine uses some Audio Technica's with it's electric piano, but I can't remember the model.

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

The K701s are notoriously hard to drive to sound their best. At least the consensus on the web seems to say that :)

Perhaps something like the Sennheiser HD598s? I'm shooting in the dark (not being an expert on piano stuff and not knowing exactly what sort of low impedance pianos need), but I know they are pretty low impedance in the general scheme of things and don't need an amp to be badass.

6. GeorgeStorm

Yeah, I may wait until Christmas so I can try them again to see if it's something I can live with/work out a solution for.

I'll have a look, I know they are quite well thought of in general.
    A couple of friends have suggested just getting an amp for the piano instead of new headphones.
    Any recommendations for cheap amps which I could use? Or an audio interface which I could put the midi from the piano in and the headphone out?