1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Alienware widescreen monitors go curvy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Is it a curve, or just 4 screens with no edges?

3. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

It's curved. Look at the photo :)

4. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Its cool, but I find it very wierd looking, and the resolutions not that great either, why not go for the equivalent of two 20" rather than 2 19"?

5. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Mmmmm, very nice. Lets hope the price isn't too high and lots of people buy it. This is just the type of thing I'd like to see developed further and eventually becoming widespread. No pun intended :D

6. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

3840x1200 would be a dream come true, i don't think 900 is enough vertical resolution to be honest, beats the triple head 2 go though

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

its just 4 screens that have been curved

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Well, 4 screens bolted together into a single, nearly seemless construct, that display crazy widescreen resolutions and actually gives you peripheral vision in games.

Personally, I think that's wicked, and as I play with 1440x900 anyway, the relatively low res doesn't bother me at all.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

0.02ms is just taking the millisecond myth too far. I really don't like how companies try to turn something like response time into a number that says how good the screen is.

TBH they would have been better off pioneering a OLED screen in co-operation with someone, they could have made that an entire panel instead of four stuck together.

10. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

isn't high enough - 900 pixels high? thats rubbish.

11. Major

Major Guest

I thought we were suppose to be going "smaller" in fatness, now this huge peice of crap is going to be released, heh.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i agree with Veles....

13. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Looks good. Now, if they could incorp multi touch.... :)

14. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

the human eye cannot differentiate things between 7ms and below (or something like that i can't remember the number), why not just make it LCD?

15. Major

Major Guest

The response time is for ghosting, i got ghosting on my 5ms Samsung when i had it...

16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

So we could see this for an extreme extortionate price from Alienware, and a not so extortionate price from Dell

Sam

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yet I get no ghosting at all on my 8ms Samsung. That's the problem with it, it's not really a measure of whether you will get ghosting or not. A 16ms screen should theoretically get no ghosting since the signal is 60Hz, good quality 16ms screens like Dells don't get ghosting, but you can get 4ms screens that get ghosting because it just has a poor quality panel. I think there's more to ghosting than just the response time of the panel.

The main reason I said they should have made it OLED is because OLEDs are better than LCDs, better contrast ratio, better colours. They can also don't mind being curved, LCDs don't like it, that's why this is made up of four panels. This is going to be an enthusiast product, you may as well go the whole hog. Only problem is OLED is a relatively new technology, but Alienware could have pioneered it in tandem with another manufacturer.

OLED has been around for years now, I know some phones have been using it for a long time now, it's a technology that can produce very thin screens, relatively cheaply, that are comparable in quality to a CRT. LCDs are a pretty awful technology really, the only good thing about them was they were a hell of a lot smaller than a CRT, they are a stop gap that has lasted too long.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  18. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I say, make modular screens like this. maybe even have verticle modularity for those who dont like the small resolution, but then, you'll need something that can handle the resolution (graphics card and connection wise)

19. Major

Major Guest

If that's the case, why are the prices for OLED TV's stupidly high?

20. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

Putting all the technical stuff aside, this is awesome!!!

The concept of a curved monitor is something I've always wanted to really enhance the feeling of immersion by making you use you peripheral vision or even need to turn your head to see what's going on at the edges of the screen.

I do agree that it doesn't really look tall enough for my liking and you know that Alienware (aka Dell) will make sure it isn't cheap!

Awesome concept, I know it's not new but this might actually be the first one that I could afford, if I didn't eat for a year, or heat the house, or make the mortgage payments...

Tags: Add Tags