1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards do I need software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ozzie, 20 Mar 2015.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Fork 'andles I wanted

Hi all, I have a MB given to me by GaryP, just waiting for a cooler to arrive then I can fit this into my old case. If I just connect everything up then will it work or do I need drivers, it came with CPU. Also will it rquire re validation of the operating system Win7 & XP pro. I would buy the bits and build a new PC if I could find one with a PCI slot. PCIe does not fit my requirements.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

In general win 7 will sort itself out but you would be best to install all the drivers for the board seperately.

XP probably won't fair as well.

Both will most likely require re-validating.

Personally I'd be doing a full reinstal of each OS.

3. Ozzie

i don't mind a full reinstal or re-validating if required. Assuming it works of course. Will the drivers be on the installation disks or will I have to download them? Excuse my ignorance but not done this before.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Mar 2015
  4. silk186

silk186 Derp

As CrapBag said, it depends what OS you install.

5. Ozzie

Win7 on one hdd, XP Pro on another.

A different thought on the whole thing by myself. Can anyone direct me to a fairly decent MB CPU bundle that has a PCI slot.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Mar 2015
  6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

What is it you need pci for and why does what gary sent you not fit the bill?

Think we need a little more info here.

Plus yes you will need to download the latest drivers as the ones on the disc will be really old, I could probably get you the original disc if required as my mo in law doesn't chuck anything out but would be easier to download.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Don't fully understand that bit either, :D, as I don't think I've seen a mobo yet with no PCI slots (apart from the ITX boards and possibly one with a bunch of PCI-E used by folders).

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

XP needs to die. I had to help a customer the other day, and at first I wondered why an organisation of that size was using Chrome... then it all made sense; XP.

9. Ozzie

Thanks, I need PCI as my cctv uses a PCI card and I cannot find a suitable alternative card. What Gary sent me will be fine for my requirements on a second PC with a bit of help from here regarding drivers. My later thoughts were to upgrade it for general use for other members of the household rather than them destroying my main machine.

10. Ozzie

Just bought a new MB for another PC ,yes it has PCI-E but not PCI.

11. Ozzie

I can dispense with XP and run my cameras in win7 under virtual mode apart from the fact that it will only accept Chinese as the language. Not a big problem as I can remember which boxes to select to run it, but I would rather it worked properly. The software is not really compatable with Win7 but I cannot find any that is.

12. Ozzie

On my present PC the board is ASUS P5VD2_MX SE, the processor is Pent D920.
    It does work but incredibly slowly and I get the message "current overload" tried a new PSU to no avail so suspect MB failure soon.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Can you restate exactly what your question is Ray or rather what your problem is?

Are you looking to replace another mobo other than the one you got from Gary?

Just looking for a bit of clarification as to what the issues are.

14. Ozzie

Hi Kronos, I want to replace the existing mobo with the one I got from Gary. I need some general advice regarding any likely problems before I begin as I don't want it out of action for very long. A brand new one was an afterthought and I would rather use the freebie if possible.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

16. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

He won't have the original driver disc as my mo in law most likely still has it.

I was the original purchaser as I built her system for her many moons ago (and her present one).

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

18. Ozzie

Thanks for the links. Not much I can do until I have the fan/heatsink just trying to gather as much info as I can in advance.

19. Ozzie

The cooler has just arrived so is there anything else I need to know before I embark on my destruction Derby:) for example can I download the drivers using another PC and write them to a CD and later instal them on the one I am trying to fix.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

No need to write them to CD if you have a USB stick and yes you can use another PC.