1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks TABLET Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 7hr08ik, 26 Aug 2011.

1. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

Right, i need help so i have come to the Geeks of all for help.

I'm looking for a small tablet 5-7", I need it for work uses. Something that is fast and very accessible. I want it mainly for meetings, notes, appointments etc.

The operating system does not mean alot since I plan on flashing it with a custom ROM anyway. (As we all know custom ROM`s are faster and generally more reliable than standards)

What im thinking is either Android or Windows based. I'm only thinking windows based, because of when windows 8 is released i reckon it should be capable of being upgraded to the new multi-touch, multi-platform awesomeness that will be windows 8. And the compatibility with the PC will help ALOT with the business needs of the tablet.

If not an android tab will certainly be more than adequate.

So im wanting some advice on what is out there, and what's available.

The only requirements i need are;

-Small (5-7" for e.g.)
    -Decent size memory (8Gb ish)
    -Fast processor (Something new generation not old shitty atoms)

Im gonna go see what i can find and pop back in a bit. Cheers guys

2. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Well, I've just bought myself an Archos 101 from Carphone Warehouse for £149.99. Arrived this morning. It is 10" so slightly bigger than you wanted, but it has 8GB internal memory plus a slot for SD cards, HDMI output etc so very good for the money. Not sure what processor it's using but it seems perfectly fast enough. Been playing games and watching movies on mine without a problem :)

3. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

£150 is a bit much for my use, its litterally just going to be a digital diary and filofax

Im looking at about £100, ive found the Apad/irobot thing on amazon for £95, but gonna look at some vids on youtube and see how fast it seems to run.

i just dont want something thats fast utta the box and gets gittery n stumbles around a few weeks later once its filled with data, and the odd movie

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

watching this thread...hopefully u get a few more responses...

im curious about custom rom's and all that

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

http://www.andypad.co.uk/

Having said that, outside of the HP touchpad, you aren't going to get anything very good for £100, definitely not something capable of running W8 (which will have the same hardware requirements as W7)

6. trig

trig god's little mistake

does someone mind explaining what custom roms are/do?

i am noob at tablets and roms

7. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Not sure if this is the technical definition, but to me a ROM is just the operating system for a portable device. For example, I flashed my old PDA with a new ROM which upgraded it from Windows Mobile 6.0 to 6.1. For example, you could reflash a tablet with an Android ROM, or a Windows Mobile ROM etc. A custom ROM is the same, except it has been modified to match the users exact needs.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There's a budget Android tablets top 10 review at The Register that may help you decide.

Tags: