1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU CPU / MoBo Compatible?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by aidacuk, 19 Feb 2015.

1. aidacuk

aidacuk What's a Dremel?

I've just completed a build but it won't boot up at all, no power, no fan, no led, no beeps. Someone has stated that the motherboard I have and the CPU might not be compatible without updating the BIOS first, can anyone here confirm please?

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 H81
    CPU - Intel Core i3 4160 s1150 Ret

Thanks.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Should work right out of the box. Is the CPU definitely seated correctly in the socket? Any bent pins?

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

They should play nicely just fine. Sounds like no power is getting to the system. Check your PSU connections and try a different PSU if possible.

4. aidacuk

aidacuk What's a Dremel?

Yes, I've checked the CPU is in correctly and no bent pins. I'm going to try testing the PSU tonight using a screwdriver on the power switch pins.

But when someone mentioned the BIOS update I started to panic :-D Thanks for the re-assurance!

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

It could need a BIOS update, you'd have to check the Gigabyte site and what BIOS you have.

The build I just did with an Asus H81 and an i3 4160, Asus stated on their website that the 4160 is only supported after BIOS version xxxx, luckily the board I got came with a later BIOS version, so was okay.

Hmm, quick look and CPU support list says BIOS version FA, but that's all there is for the HD3, so probably only one BIOS so far.

Is there any way to tell what BIOS is on the board? Label on the BIOS chip?
    Is it a rev1 or 2 board?

6. creative

creative 500rwhp

I cant see it being anything to do with the bios if nothing is powering up?

Make sure you have all the power connectors attached to the board ( 24pin and cpu power etc) and test the psu first.

7. HybriDPjT

HybriDPjT What's a Dremel?

might i suggest a double checking of the front panel jumpers as well? cross referenced with the manual ? tis easy to get em the wrong way round or on the wrong pins, preventing power on too! :jawdrop: