1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Noobie to watercooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flame696, 10 Jan 2011.

1. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Hey guys

As im going to stick with the i7 950 im going to try my hand at watercooling and if it screws up it give me a reason to go buy sandybridge :D:D.

Now ive never watercooled any of pc's i want to water cool my cpu first off and when i get comfortable with it i was to add the gpu maybe even 2 gpu's so i need something that will be handle the cpu for now and then be able to handle the gpu or gpu's along with the cpu.

So what would i need? whats the best place to buy? I want to be able to get it quick as im on a weeks holiday from work and the wifes going away with the kids to her mothers :clap::D ill be home alone :eeek::eeek: so i need to keep myself occupied.

2. flame696

Any help ive been looking at some stuff but what gets me is what size tubing to get and what fittings

3. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

tubing and fittings is personal preference. I have read some articles that state that tube diameter doesn't affect flow rates... however....

I went from 8mm ID on my Zalman Resorator to 10mm ID and am just about to buy some 13mm ID tubing and fittings purely because they look nice!

I have tried Masterkleer tubing, but it seems to just be too bendy that it kinks far too easily. Will be buying Primochill LRT next.

Have heard good things about Bitspower fittings, but they are expensive, I am currently using a combination of EK and specialtech's own brand of fittings.

As for where to buy: scan / aquatuning / specialtech - whoever is cheapest at the time! :thumb:

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Rushing water cooling is not a good idea, I spent about 6 months reading up and researching mine.

To get your started, what's your budget? Do you want it internal or external to your case? Are you doing it for lower temps/higher OC or to reduce noise?

I'll set out what I have (I really should get round to doing a log for it as then I can just spam the link on threads like this :p)

Infact, I think I'll do it now... Give me an hour and you'll have what you need :p

thetrashcanman and flame696 like this.
  5. flame696

thank bloody pete ur a star have some rep

6. flame696

im looking at reducing temps and pushing my cpu futher. budget is around £250 - £300

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

What case is it going into. Some are way better than others for water cooling set ups.

8. flame696

its in my sig its a antec 1200 i know its not the best case for watercooling but i like using the :dremel:

9. bulldogjeff

Oh dear, your right it is, don't know I missed it.

Basically when it comes to water cooling you have 2 options. By a kit, these give you all the bits you need and are decent enough, or jump in the deep end and get all the bits yourself. Also it depends on your budget.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

11. flame696

budget is £250 - £300

12. bulldogjeff

For that you can get some pretty good stuff. If you do decide to buy a pile of bits the XSPC res/pumps can make life a lot easier as they fit into a drive bay and it's also on less part to have to find a home for and they look good.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just updated my thread. Has prices and some good places to look for info :) as stated above, you should be able to get a good system with that kind of money.

14. flame696

Thats a really good read has helped a lot it would be interesting in seeing some pics fo your rig. Thanks a million for that i really appriciate it

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

No problem. I thought it'd give you a good idea of cost :) I'll be doing pic's with a bit of a walk through tomorrow :)

16. Risky

Risky Modder

I started with a kit and gradually added and replaced parts. It's not a bad approach to get you going, but I think the first question is where to put the rad and therefore how big it can be.