1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer lost its bios settings

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by chrisb2e9, 28 Apr 2008.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Today I closed a program, and then a few minutes later started it again. but it didn't start. so I hit ctrl alt delete and saw that 2 instances of it were currently running. I tried to shut them both down but one refused to do so. so I tried to restart windows but it wouldn't shut down.
    I hit the restart button and the pc did not come back on. It powered up but that was it. no post or anything.
    I turned it off, started it again. same thing. Turned it off, disconnected the power and let it sit for a minute. Turned it back on and I got a message (cant remember the exact wording) that said something about the settings in the bios being wrong. I had an option to go into the bios, or load defaults. I went in and set it up as i had it before. Now it is working fine.

Anyone know why it would do this? It happened once about a month ago as well but it wasn't the exact same problem. I just turned it on in the morning and found that my bios settings had reset.

Running an asus p5k deluxe
    Q6600
    Corsair 620
    ati 1950 pro
    2gb ram

edit: how do i edit the title?

Last edited: 28 Apr 2008
  2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Not sure what would cause BIOS outage, but to edit the title, edit the post and Go advanced.

Good luck.

3. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

It's an automatic feature on the P5K. If the board fails to POST then on the next power up it resets all bios options to default, tells you that overclocking has failed and asks you to go into the bios or load defaults.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

ok, thanks. At least I know its not doing it because its broken.
    I still wish I knew why it failed to post though. It started up fine today after being off all night.