1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Possible tiny upgrade, what next do you think?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 3 Sep 2009.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Right well, I was thinking of just putting more RAM in my PC the other day, not sure
    why, but just felt like I wanted to, but when I thought about it I realised it could be
    a bit of a waste of time.

My current spec is
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Intel Core2Duo E8400 ACF7 Pro
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 1066mhz
    2x 1tb Samsung F1
    ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512mb
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 7.1 - PCI-E
    Some NEC DVD-RW
    All in an Antec 1200 case.

ALL of it is at stock speeds. I don't overclock because I don't know how and haven't the time to learn how to properly etc I really don't plan on ever overclocking this PC either.

Anyway, the reason I was thinking to upgrade the RAM is because its one of the cheapest things to upgrade. I only have about £50, but the problem is to get exactly the same RAM, it would be around £70 ... can I mix RAM from other brands?
    So long as they're both PC28500 1066mhz?

I will be moving it all into an Antec 300 case very soon, as its being taken to Uni and the 1200 is humongous, way to big to take.

So, any suggestions on what I should upgrade and if its worth upgrading the RAM (to 8GB)?

Remember, it is going into an Antec 300 case, it won't be in a massive 1200 case.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers.

Pete

p.s. I am open to any ideas on upgrading it. While I have the budget, it would be cool to know what to look out for to get a bit more from the PC at a later date. But mainly I want to know what I can do right now on small monies. :]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  2. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Well, it all depends on your OS and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit... And the RAM will have minimal effects on your PC as it may be limited by the processor. Reply back with your OS and bits!

3. pete*

Oh yea, stupid me.

Vista Home Premium 64 bit, Upgrading to Win 7 when it comes out more than likely.
    Processor is in the post above, E8400 @ 3.0 ghz (Stock), everything else is stock too (GFX, RAM etc).

4. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

You should be fine with more RAM, but is it worth it(I say that a lot). 8GB of RAM is what serious gamers use. If you have that setup I am guessing that you are not that much of a serious gamer. What graphics card do you have? I do not think you would notice much difference if you are a casual home/business user.:blah:

5. pete*

The graphics card is also in the post.. Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512mb - got it when it first came out.

Um, I play Crysis, Assassins Creed, COD4, Prototype, CS, CSS, UT, UT3 etc etc, quite a lot
    of games, mainly FPS's. On a 22" Samsung SM2232 BW.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

You could spend about 30min maybe an hour at most in learning how to overclock your CPU, the 8400 is a good clocker and you would see a speed increase with a modest overclock. You would have to change your cooling either.

7. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

I give up trying to think and say go for it! But get 6GB...

8. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Bit harsh mate - this is a bit off topic but you don't have to have the latest all singing all dancing kit to be a 'serious gamer'! My kit is very much middle of the road, but this is driven by available cash, not how much of a serious gamer I am. In fact I consider myself a very serious gamer, although I have been known to laugh on occasions.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Dont worry about him, he's just thinks owning all the lastest hardware makes him a good gamer.

As for memory i think your all right with 4Gb at the moment, DDR2 prices will rise soon due to lowering the product to make way for DDR3. This has actually already happened but prices arent so shocking at the moment.

So grab another 4GB cheap, your usages might not break 5GB even on the most demanding days of gaming, but there is no harm in having surplus for the future.

10. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Me... have all the expensive parts.... NO! I live by on a cheap PC from dell.(at the moment)

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Then why the hell do you advise that '8GB of RAM is what serious gamers use' thats a load of crap!

I suggest you stop and think before posting in the future, if you have first hand expierence on that matter, then advise. Maybe if you find an interesting article on another site, then link.

There are two things i cant tolerate and that is fan-boy-ism and talking crap with out evidence.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Unless you know you'll use it, I'd just keep that £50 and go down the pub.

13. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

And besides everyone knows to be a serious gamer you need a 'pro' config.... :p