1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Fans spin for a second and computer won't turn on

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by prince88, 29 Jun 2010.

1. prince88

prince88 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys I have built my second computer. It was working fine for three months and now I am running into problems. My computer turned off unexpectedly and when I try to turn it on again all the fans spin for like a second and shut off. So what I do then is unplug the power supply and plug it back in. So I press the power button, and again the fans spin for a second and everything shuts off. I have RMA my motherboard twice and ASUS has told me there is nothing wrong with the motherboard.

What can be the problem?? Power supply maybe??

My specs:
    Asus P7P55D motherboard
    Crosair Power supply 850watts
    Intel i7 860

Thank you for your assistance.

2. prince88

also my cpu has the megahalem cpu cooler and stays around 35-38C. So temps are fine.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Take it out the case and try it on the motherboard box. This will isolate if it's shorting out.

What memory are you using? If you're using G.Skill Ripjaws there's a cold boot issue with Asus motherboards sometimes (Google is your friend here) so you'll need to exchange the memory for something else (there are ways around it but it's more work to explain).

Try just 1 memory stick in all the slots, then try the other one.

4. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

My first bet would be psu, but like Bindibadgi says id try it out of the case first to make sure its not shorting out.

5. prince88

Here is an update. My computer today worked for like 6 hours and had normal post. When you turn on your computer I get the short beep and things worked for like 6 hours and computer unexpectedly shut off. Now it does not turn on. Computer is only 3 months old. Maybe faulty power supply??

I have to unplug powersupply and plug it back in. Then fans only spins for a second and computer does not turn on.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would suggest it's likely, but try it out the case first.

7. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

That sounds like a PSU thermal overload to me - could be wrong though. Is the PSU fan spinning? No dust/blocked inlet/outlets?

Also try testing as Bindi mentioned - it may be a short somewhere

8. prince88

The PSU fan spins less than a second and nothing turns on. What can be causing shortening and what do you mean by that?? I have the mobo on the spacers.

No dust or anything. I have moved all my memory sticks around the slots and tried them one by one and still same result. I have RMA my mobo twice and Asus said both time they are fine. When computer was working I could play any game fine and temps are around 35 to 38 since its summer. Sometimes computer turns on for 1 min to 30 min or 1 hour. Also when computer was working I ran 8 hours Memtest 86 on sticks and no errors.

When computer does turn on it is usually when I unplug power supply for 30 minutes and plug it back in and wait like 2 minutes. When I hold power button sometimes computer will turn on. And thats rare. When computer does work it has normal post with a normal beep.

Also I will try Bindi's method once I get my computer back from my cousin.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2010
  9. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Tried a different PSU?

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Could be the PSU.

For some reason have you checked if the cooler is seated properly? After removing it a few times it might not be, but then again the meghalem mounting style is almost indestructible. Try a different PSU like confusis said. Any indicators on the mobo or GPU that are shining?

11. prince88

For the motherboard I have had it RMA by Asus and they told me nothing is wrong with my motherboard. For the GPU that I am pretty sure is fine because when computer was working the games ran wonderfully with no error or BSOD.

The unexpected shut down happened after I restated my computer and it just shut off .

My Megahalem cpu cooler I know for sure are seated properly.... I have reseated them but with the same problem. With those coolers there is no way I think someone can not seat them properly because you have to screw them down.

I will try out a new PSU once I get my computer back.

12. prince88

So here is an update. I just talked to the computer repair guy and he said all my part are working fine......outside the case.......wtf??? Is something causing a short?? I have the motherboard on the jumpers.

Can the shape of a case cause problems??

13. prince88

I have solved my problem. My motherboard was bent in the middle and so was the riser which caused a short. I have replaced the riser and everything is working great.

14. Delta Nine IT

Delta Nine IT New to this but not to Modding!

how was it bent, did you have a mounting wrong?