1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP Cloud Beta - Anyone on it?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by FingAZ, 21 Mar 2012.

1. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

Pretty much as the title- anyone folding on the HP Cloud Services Beta? I just got accepted, so should have my login details pretty soon- apparently they've changed what instances you're allowed very recently, so will be interesting to see what sort of PPD can be obtained :D

Anyone on the new instances have an idea of PPD?

Thanks!
    FingAZ.

2. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Does that mean you can use cloud services as remote folding machines? I would be surprised if that is possible without a significant cost. It'll be great if it can be done though, I'll be watching for positive replies :)

3. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

Not wanting to quote other teams (dirty!) but...
    http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=133342

There's no cost (at the moment) as it's in Private Beta! Will be interesting to see if costs are worthwhile/competitive once it all goes live i guess, but for the mean time, i'll get my (no) monies worth.

There's been hints to there being invites given to people who are already in the beta too, so if i get any invites, i'll pass them on :) I'll also keep you posted on my progress once the info comes through. :thumb:

FingAZ.

4. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

I was getting around 32-35k PPD. HP did some upgrades a bit ago and things 'shut down' for me. I finally got setup again and now I'm cranking out even more PPD than before (so it seems). I have HPCS going to my main EOC stats:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=451193

See the link below for setup:
    Overclock.net

New folding is setup at your own risk on HPCS. Users have been told not to setup more folding (I'd still give it a shot though).

Last edited: 22 Mar 2012
  5. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

I noticed that some users have apparently been told not to fold, but am yet to see any official notices on the HPC website- I don't see any harm in it, particularly if those users, like myself, would be happy with the later costs to continue doing so. Let's face it, there's nothing in the T&Cs about it anyway. I'll stop if asked to... But until then!

I see that you must've got in sooner as you have some 8CPU boxes (do you still have these? Some people were apparently asked to migrate to Az2 with the new limits? Not sure how true that is...)- as I joined later I'm restricted to 20gb, but thats per AZ at least (AZ1 and AZ2). Ive got 2x 4cpu (8gb ram) and 12x 2CPU (2gb ram) boxes in total which is very reasonable! Yet to see what sort of yield to expect, and ill almost definitely take a few boxes down to do some real LAMP stack tests anyway.... I am a sysadmin after all! :)

6. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

HP just phoned me should have my box soon :)

7. Votick

8. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

If anyone else wants a Beta login, I got one to give away ^_^ PM me

9. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Yes please if still available :)

10. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

They're free anyways to anyone. when registering, just use "@hpcloud" in the twitter field.

here's the sign-up link:
    http://hpcloud.com/sign_up

11. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Just put it up in case!

12. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

Just thought i'd give some feedback- i've got 2x 4vCPU boxes and 12x 2vCPU boxes and am getting around 45k PPD. Not bad for a freebie :D
    I'll probably take a couple of the (worst performing) dual CPU boxes offline in a few days for some actual system tests, but otherwise things are looking good to meet my new targets :D

I'm hoping to reach the 1mil mark in about 2.5weeks, plus i'm a gnats doo-dah away from being in the top 1000 of the team :) Yay!

Here's hoping i can get a mention in the magazine's tables too, as thats really what i'm after :D

13. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

14. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Trying to setup come servers here, following the guide at the following to the letter:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1206894/hpcs-setup-guide-linux-and-windows

But when I try and use putty to connect at the public IP I have created, it is coming up with this error message when I enter the username root:

"Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)"

I am defiantly creating a private key in puttygen.

Any ideas?

15. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Never mind... just deleted all servers and started again, worked this time. Must have dicked something up :)

16. Votick

I'm near to my 3 mill mark thanks to HPCS :)

17. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

I have a few invites going spare... anyone want in? :) PM me.

18. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Well private beta coming to an end on 10th May when public beta goes live, but with pricing.

If I continue with 4 Standard Large that will cost me approx $1000 per month running 24/7. :jawdrop:

19. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

Yeah, as with most cloud services for our style of use, we get better cost from simply buying hardware. Shame really. Still, that gives me till the 10th May to reach the 2mil mark :)

Remember to "one unit" your boxes so no workloads get dropped when powering off :)

20. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

What do ya mean by "Remember to "one unit" your boxes so no workloads get dropped when powering off"?