1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Choosing a GTX 570 Flavor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kiillerman1, 5 Sep 2011.

1. kiillerman1

kiillerman1 What's a Dremel?

I've been working out what parts to get for my first build with the gracious help of GoodBytes (here) and have decided to get a GeForce GTX 570. Using my primary parts finder, newegg, I found that there are multiple varieties of the GTX 570 released by several different companies. My question is what is the difference between these releases and what is (arguably) the best one to get?

I have already been warned against the pre-overclocked ones, since I can do the overclocking myself, but I believe there are slight differences in coolers, etc.

Thanks in advance :).

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yes, the main difference is the cooler they come with, but with certain cards the PCB layout is different from Nvidia's reference design (like Palit, for instance).

Go with the cheapest one IMO, because whatever the expensive ones claim to deliver they usually cannot; it's all marketing hype. I've referenced it before - back when the 8800GTX first came out, I paid £294 for it and one of my mates paid about £400 for it. The difference? A brand sticker on the cooler and a moderate overclock...

In saying that, there's nothing wrong with pre-overclocked cards at all; they are usually just overpriced.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Get one with a decent cooler. the MSI Twin Frozr is supposed to be very good.

4. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

And one of the cheapest too :thumb:

5. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I never regretted going for the stock model. Stock cooler and stock speeds.

There is a reason that the stock model is actually more expensive than some custom coolers, it is an excellent vapour x cooler.

6. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

The reference cards do have great coolers and unless u have great case airflow the ones with aftermarket coolers can actually increase temps due to the fact that most of the hot air is exhausted into the case and not externally.

7. kiillerman1

kiillerman1 What's a Dremel?

So since the only suggestion was MSI Twin Frozr, everyone concurs that that is the best to get?

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Or the Asus DirectCU one, that is also supposed to be pretty good. I have no experience of that though, so I will just say that the TFIII cooler is very good.

9. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

10. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

i am looking at the evga superclocker does anyone know what they are like?

11. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Another vote for the cheapest, they're all pretty much the same inside :)

Asus DirectCU and MSI Twin Frozr III both cheapest on scan so either will do I guess!

12. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Evga if registered online with in a time gets you a 3 year warranty that's allways nice to have

13. Brooksie

Brooksie What's a Dremel?

14. Krony

Krony What's a Dremel?

If it's an ER product u get 10 year warranty if u register it within 30 days.

15. randomhero101

randomhero101 What's a Dremel?

I have a Gainward GeForce GTX 570 Phantom 1280MB NVIDIA Graphics Card
    though its £30 over the cheapest card. the cooler is very quiet.

the lasts stock cooler i had was on a hd4870 when I bought my second one I bought the hd powercolour with an improved cooler it ran so much cooler and quieter. and since then I always happy to pay extra for a good cooler but depends on what your priorities are
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1280...5-gpu-750mhz-shader-1600mhz-480-cores-dp-hdmi

16. Brooksie

Brooksie What's a Dremel?

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

get wich ever Gigabyte Version you can afford. I have had a OC 460 and now a SOC 580 and I can say they are very quite (less noise then my case fans, had to put my ear next to it to make sure it was on)

or EVGA for the 10 year warranty.