1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD losses slow, predicts return to profit soon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Jul 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

When will they been seeing a come back from the consoles ?
    I mean do they only get paid when consumers buy the consoles, after that, or before ?

3. konstantine

konstantine What's a Dremel?

Once APUs become more relevant, when GPGPU matures and grants that boost in performance that AMD CPUs so much need, AMD will start profiting again from their CPU division. It's a fight against time.

HUMA, or shared addressing space between the CPU and the GPU is the last step on the hardware side. All that's left is for software and compilers to catch up.

I have a strong feeling that we will start building high-end gaming PCs using AMD's APUs soon. I've seen some physics simulation benchmarks accelerated using GPGPU and the performance advantage over solely using CPUs is overwhelming.

Go AMD!

4. Ch33sefiend

Ch33sefiend What's a Dremel?

The CPU / GPU needs competition so it's lovely to see AMD making a return. Love my Radeon card :p

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Not looking great really more negative than positive really again. Expected if they are to survive that they would of approached break even. They have been selling assets alot as well which is making the balances better than they would be otherwise.

Still think a Samsung / Apple buy out of there Gpu devision will happen this year.

Console is one lump sum, nvidia actually lost money on there deals last time around so be intresting to see how AMD does on that front.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I love the fact that people are happy and think things are good for AMD when they are only SLOWING their losses. They are still losing money. Granted they have the deals with Sony and Microsoft for their consoles but it has been often documented that they won't see any profits from that venture within what is likely to be the first 5 years.
    As for APUs becoming more and more relevant, do you really think Intel will sit on their laurels and do nothing? They have already made massive advancements in catching up with current AMD APUs on the GPU side and that is without the GPU knowledge that AMD gained with the ATi purchase while the CPU is far superior. I am sure that in 5 years time when APUs are more significant in the market that Intel will have focused more in that area (they already are changing and adapting the Atom range for this already) and will be able to compete or maybe even better AMD's offerings.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not an Intel 'Blue Boy' but the road is long and hard in front of AMD before they can even start to break even. Let's hope that they can hang in there...

7. DbD

DbD Minimodder

The CPU division did do relatively well last quarter, it's the reason AMD did better then expectations. APU's unfortunately need Intel backing - basically anything for the PC CPU market done just by AMD has 0% chance of success. For custom chips like consoles sure, but for a market completely dominated by a competitor they'll never get any traction.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I don't see that happening. AMD as a company knows their GPU division is the only thing keeping them alive and they'd be left with products (such as their APUs) that would need to be ditched.

Lost money, or made less profit than they expected? Knowing nvidia's ego, it wouldn't surprise me if they made it seem worse than it really was. AMD will profit from the new consoles. They likely won't make as much money as they would if they sold their processors in PCs, but they're still going to make money regardless.

Also, since console optimizations will likely seep into AMD based PCs, that ought to help AMD's PC market.

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Just trying some of the usual PR spin from AMD yet again. If it wasn't for the lease back, it would look the usual bleak same.

Stick a fork in them, they're done!

Hostile takeover territory by the look of things.

10. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Why would Apple want the former ATI? With Swift, Apple demonstrated quite clearly that they can very quietly put engineers on projects that hit the public out of the blue - I don't recall ever seeing Apple had even gotten their hands on an ARM arch license, and this the company where nerds comb over patent applications and FCC filings to glean whatever minutiae they can on what Apple might have coming.

If Apple were inclined to do so, they're likely already well on their way to developing their own GPUs for their ARM processors - I doubt they'd have any focus on Mac, as the market's comparatively small. If what they do for mobile could be easily ported to x86 (assuming they even stick with Intel), then maybe.

If anything, AMD might worry about Apple poaching their engineers - not sure how non-competes would be litigated across state lines (TX vs CA), but you get laughed out of court if you talk non-compete in CA, as I understand it.

Even AMD's retarded monkey board of directors wouldn't be so foolish to sell off the graphics division - if the company goes down in flames, I guarantee graphics will be the hardest-fought part of the asset auction when the corpse gets picked over.

11. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Hmm I thought they did pretty well with their server products also?

12. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

A $74 million loss is bad news, no matter if you think you are a comeback king or not.

13. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

people saying they are still losing should probably look at the market amd is playing in.... pretty much every part of the home pc market is coming in red. considering that and the amount they have spent on researching and developing things like huma a 74mil loss isnt bad. anyway overall view is that amd is in the middle of recovering, and they are making pretty rapid steps towards it.