1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Has anyone had their Sandybridge mobo collected and replaced?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2tricky, 14 Apr 2011.

1. 2tricky

2tricky What's a Dremel?

Hey

Have called ASUS to register my P8P67 for replacement and they've now sent a prepaid label for UPS to collect it at my convenience. Has anyone had theirs collected and returned yet?

The reason I ask is that part of me is thinking that the only thing connected to the faulty ports is the DVD writer which gets used seldom, and the motherboard/system is running sweet so just live with it, while the other part of me is thinking so be it if its going to be a PITA as you should be getting what you've forked out a lot of money for! Am leaning towards just keeping it as is, but will no doubt change my mind again!

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011
  2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I think I'll wait for the Z68 board and see if i can get a swap with some cash if it's needed.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

UPS are very quick, my replacement ram arrived at my door from somewhere near Taiwan in just over 24 hours, with any luck Asus will be just as quick replacing it.

You may find you want to use those ports in the future if you get a fast SSD.

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

nope, dont see the point and tbh youll only lose 5-10quid from the sale price on ebay which aint a problem

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No. I registered my board with Gigabyte at the tail end of March, got an acknowledgement email and nothing since.

Bit annoyed to be honest, I want my B3!

6. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Interesting that you guys are all contacting the manufacturers directly. I phoned Yo-Yo tech (which is where I bought my board) and they told me to just bring it in for a replacement.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Scan's line on this is to get a replacement from the manufacturer.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd definitely replace it, no one will want to touch a pre B3 stepping board when it comes to resale, even if the chances are good that nothing will ever go wrong.

9. 2tricky

2tricky What's a Dremel?

Thanks, will have a think over Easter and then decide what I'll do

10. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Just got my return label through too. I am undecided as yet what to do. I don't want to be without it for any more than a few hours to be honest

11. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Replace it. Not replacing it would be silly when they are offering to replace a defective product for free.

The fact that some of you can't go for 24 hours without a computer is somewhat worrying to me. I realize computers are a key part of life these days, but really people?

Take a break from your computer, send the board back, play on your phone if you HAVE to be connected to everyone else in the world every day, and put the new motherboard in when it shows up. It's literally a direct swap, and you'll be happy that you did if some other unknown issue with the non-b3 models pops up after the end of the replacement offer.

12. Deders

Deders Modder

go camping?

13. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

Registered it with Gigabyte a month or so back, still havn't heard anything. Bit annoying tbh as mine seems to have been an unlucky one, as it no longer boots with any device plugged into the sata 2 ports, so I am having to go without a disk drive atm til i get a replacement :(

14. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I am planning to replace mine since overclockers wont take a return advising to rma direct (first time buying from them and never using them again because of it)

However i am waiting till i have a week of heavy work ahead of me when i know i wont be on the PC, UPS are pretty quick at picking it up but its likely to take some time for ASUS to process the return and send out a replacement saying "up to 10 working days" which effectively is two weeks.

Personally i have my label but i will wait a bit, i figured there would be a rush of people sending there board back slowing down the process a bit so am going to wait another week or two to the rush dies down.

As for replacing it 2tricky, i would because the ability to return your board has a window that will expire so if your board goes faulty in years time you are stuck with it - if you dont get them replaced i think by the end of june? then asus will stop accepting them.

15. sonicgroove

I wouldn't be too hard on Overclockers in this instance. most etailers are doing the same.

16. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I'm in the same boat, bought off scan, registered with ASUS now got the returns label. I do wanna return it for a B3 as it is free and "at my convenience" i.e. between 9 and 5:30 weekdays, how this is convenient for anyone with a job is beyond me. so sorting out a pick up time might be difficult.

I have got a question though, what are you guys returning with your motherboard? It says "pack your product in suitable material to ensure no damage" that says to me put your motherboard in a box with a load of foam. Do you need to return it in the original packaging with all accessories etc and then pack in suitable packaging?

17. 2tricky

2tricky What's a Dremel?

Right, the final decision is to send it back after Easter. Definitely. Ish! It actually makes sense when you get right down to it, to replace something with a known fault for a brand spanking new one, that should be fault free.

As for the comment j_jay4 made, I too was wondering the same thing. I am going to phone ASUS tomorrow to ask them what exactly needs returning, and will let you know what they say.

Mike

18. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Originally I wasn't going to send it back, but it makes a really annoying high pitched sound, so I registed with ASUS back in march and kept forgetting to send in the advanced replacement form. I sent it in last monday, and got notification on tuesday that they were overnighting it to me! The replacement is currently sitting on my desk as I've been too busy the last few days to swap it.

19. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

I'd get it changed. You might as well. You'll only lose your pc for a day or two I would have thought. You paid good money for that board, get the most from it!!

20. sonicgroove

I'm just worried that the new one won't overclock my cpu like the old one has. 5.2Ghz astounded me