1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Internet Companies Slows internet intentionally?

Discussion in 'General' started by nescafe, 17 Aug 2015.

1. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

Hey guys. Do you think internet companies slow your internet down to force you upgrade your internet? I had it once with AOL when the internet slowed right down so i had them so say do all sorts to fix it and then they said we could upgrade you to a faster speed and extra cost.. I say oh go on then and then all of a sudden i am getting the the new speed they have quoted me with? And now i am with BT and have been for a few years now and all has been fine but i noticed that fibre optic has just been made available in my area now i said to the wife "you wait and see ,,we will be getting problems with our internet now to try and make us swap to fibre" and low and behold over the last couple of days our internet has slowed right down. Now i would not mind having fibre optic but it seems if i was a new BT customer the line rental and broadband would be line £12 a month cheaper to what i am paying now.:eyebrow:.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm not sure if it is different with fibre but ADSL services upto say 20Mbps are shared across an area. Usually defined by the contention ratio i.e. the number of customers sharing a finite connection speed. As more and more people took up broadband services, ISPs would increase the contention ratio and what used to be 50:1 soon grew to 100:1 or 200:1 and beyond.

Think of it like a water main that can only deliver so much water. Increase the number of taps off the main and everyone gets a slightly reduced flow rate, regardless of the theoretical maximum.

3. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

I see what you are saying but i was getting 8mbps on adsl then it dropped to 1-2 mbps so then they offered me adsl2 and it went up to 16-18mbps??

4. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

I feel sorry for everyone who has to live on stone age called ADSL.

And what comes to the topic, plausible.

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Legacy ADSL boxes suffered from poor uplink capacity (133mbps or worse), with 2+ and VDSL2 boxes now typically having multiple gigE uplinks. GPON often has (multiple) 10GigE uplinks, although I was looking at the cisco ME4600 OLT and the max theoretical subs is 32k per box :jawdrop:

6. nescafe

nescafe Minimodder

huh?lol

7. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Long story short, adsl and adsl2+ dslams may have limited uplink capacity, so the more subs on the box, the less bandwidth you get per sub.

It gets even more fun when you start calculating crosstalk, noise floors and such in your binder group.