1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Brushing aluminium - hard to do it?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by phinix, 8 Mar 2016.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'm planning to brush main panels in my Phinix Chimera case and was wondering is it hard to do it?
    I've seen some videos of people doing it - clamp your panel, use some straight blocks as rails, use a big block with sanding paper and run it straight on the panels.

Any guidelines, hints on doing this from our modders please?

2. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hehe, found one, our The_GNU is the guy! :D

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=114028

I'm thinking.. I want a bit rough finish, so will run some 80 grit first, then go 100, 120.
    I'm sure I'll get easy uneven lines, or those deeper lines - which I actually want to achieve.
    I want it to look a bit like rough surface that went through a lot:)

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

The other way to do it is with double sided tape - tape the paper down to your bench, set up fencing, and slide the aluminium across, keeping it hard against the fencing at all times.

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yep, I was thinking of this way too. I think I will try out on some spare alu bit first to see how it goes...

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

I've used it on silver and gold, and it certainly works really well for small items - can't truly comment on larger sheets. However, in theory it shouldn't make a difference with the increased scale.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I'll be doing it on main panels, which are about 18x30cm. Main thing is to keep exact same direction to get straight lines.
    I will clamp down some wooden block to be a "rail" for the moving sanding block.
    I'm all excited all about this, I never done this before:)