1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Camera strap with hooks?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Kronos, 17 Jan 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I took my camera out to photograph my cat coming with me to get the Sunday paper and of course attached the strap to it. Which entailed threading the strap through narrow slots on the camera body. I would like something simpler.
    Looking on Ebay I see that there are plenty of straps with hooks but my concern is the anchor points on the camera are quite narrow and I do not want to waste money on a strap that is of no use.
    Anyone suggest a suitable strap?
    I have a Canon 1100D.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

One of the best (if not the best) accessories I've bought for my camera is a BlackRapid sling strap (linky). It just screws into the tripod mount hole and then you wear the strap across your body like you would a camera bag. No more fiddling with little straps when you want to take it off / put it on and also the camera then doesn't bounce against your chest when you're walking along. Might be more than you were thinking of spending but I wouldn't necessarily trust hundreds of pounds of camera to some £4 rubber things off ebay.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Can I ask what's wrong with just leaving the strap on?

I put the supplied strap on my D3100 when I bought and have never taken it off since.

5. GeorgeK

[my2p]Especially just around the house I sometimes prefer just to carry the camera rather than have the strap dangling off it. Also for macro work on a tripod I sometimes find that the strap dangles in the way. Also I dislike the neck straps that come with cameras for a number of reasons[/my2p]

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As George says it is a pain it have it attached in the house, as I take a fair few photos of my cat I like to have the camera to hand and the strap just gets in the way as of course is an object of play to the beast. So looking for something to clip on and off quickly is preferable.

Back to your suggestion George I have come across that and not keen on having attached to the tripod mount as I already have one off these (link) and I find the tripod mount part makes the camera slightly more unstable when left on my desk ETC.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Can you post an image of it attached to your camera please. It looks ideal.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Spooky as I had one of those in my basket. The other two items I linked to are also from the same company. Cheers.

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Use one of these too and also their standard neck strap which uses the same clips. Was considering a blackrapid (mentioned above, connects to tripod mount) but it would be a pain having to remove the strap to use a tripod.
    No issues using this with a 7D and 100-400L and it's pretty comfortable carrying for an entire day. It's also a load cheaper than the Blackrapid system which worried me initially but have had zero issues with clips failing - although I do thread a strap through the tripod mount on the 100-400 and clip it onto the shoulder strap just for extra re-assurance just in case!

For use around the house, just unclip the shoulder/neck strap and clip the two ends attached to the camera together - short ends give a nice loop for a little re-assurance when carrying around the house.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Another Optech user here (just like Ian).

I have both straps hooked into a single fixing on the camera, my 1100D and 70D were both strong enough to be held like that without flex, and it means being able to wear it slung across your chest and held at waist level with one hand.

While I was on holiday this year I had it tucked into a satchel at my hip as well which protected/hid it a bit more.

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Again my reason for not going this route, as I have the Optech, is the tripod mount makes the camera unsteady when put down unless of course I remove the mount every time.

15. GeorgeK

The blackrapid tripod mount thingy can be screwed in in about 10 seconds - it's hardly a chore.

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The other option is the peak design range of straps as they all use the same 'anchor' which is less bulky than the Op Tech kit and I find them nice to use on a mirrorless setup.

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/

[​IMG]

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I considered a Peak Design slide for my setup, but went with the Optech for the comfier/wider strap. I can shoulder it all day and not really feel it...

18. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I understand. You could use a strap with hooks/Clips and metal split rings ? Nothing like the classics.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jan 2016
  19. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

I have this one too! I really like it!

20. techniana

techniana What's a Dremel?