1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Disk Management & NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bawjaws, 26 Mar 2017.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hi all,

I've just installed Windows 7 on a nice new NVMe SSD. When I installed Windows, I only had the NVMe drive connected and all other drives were disconnected (except for the USB stick I used to install from). Windows was installed to Disk 0 as usual. Upon installation, Windows showed the NVMe drive as Disk 0 in Disk Management.

I've since connected up my other drives (a couple of SATA drives) but when I go into Disk Management, the NVMe drive is now showing as disk 2, with Disk 0 being my SATA SSD and Disk 1 a SATA HDD. Now, I was always told that Windows had to be on Disk 0, so I'm a little concerned that I may have a problem. Then again, a bit of reading suggests that Windows adds Disks in order that they're discovered via Plug and Play, so perhaps the NVMe drive is just at the bottom of the list when it comes to PnP? It's all a bit confusing.

So, my question is this: do I need to worry about Windows not being installed on "Disk 0", and if I do need to worry about it, how might I go about switching it about? I'm using an ASus Z170i Pro Gaming motherboard if that makes the slightest of difference.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :)

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If it boots then it's fine. I don't think you can shift around the disk numbers because that is sorted by the order of the hardware. I think Windows will probably look to the main SATA controller first, then any PCIE devices.

So yeah, as long as it boots and you can see all of the drives you are OK. You can change drive letters though.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Nice one. Cheers for the reply, man. It's booting just fine and all seems well so I'll just ignore it :D

Drive letters are fine: I'm a bit particular about them anyway so I always rejig them a bit :D