1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant All keyboard layouts are wrong

Discussion in 'General' started by Jamie, 16 Apr 2008.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

For years I've been annoyed with every keyboard I've used, let me explain why.

I like the numpad as it's really handy for inputting numbers and doing calculations, however I believe it's on the wrong side of the keyboard (for a right handed person).

1. When trying to centre myself at my desk I find to type I'm off to the left and my mouse is too far off to the right because the numpad creates dead space when I really want my mouse to be.
    2. If you're filling in numbers in Excel or similar you are either using the mouse and numpad or using the arrows and numpad. To be ergonomic shouldn't the two controls be on separate sides. For example I want to mouse around with my right hand and input numbers with my left. So why isn't the numpad on the left? (The same applies if you are using the arrow keys).
    3. When switching from typing to mousing the numpad means a larger movement.
    4. When gaming (WASD) my hands are too far apart, moving the numpad would shorten the distance between my left and right hands and create more room for using the mouse. If the numpad was on the right you'd also have a few more keys available to the left hand in games.

Anyone else agree?

2. RTT

RTT #parp

I agree with 1 hugely. My left hand would be too slow and inaccurate to use the numpad if it was on the left though

3. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I can appreciate the dead space issue, it can be very annoying, especially from playing FPS games.

However, I would absolutely hate to have to use the numberpad with my left hand. I am used to using arrow keys with my left hand (again from playing FPS games), but I am also now very used to using a numberpad with my right hand, having worked in a bank for so long.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

"4. When gaming (WASD) the mouse is too far from my mouse"

you use two mice? :p

Anyway, I agree with you there. What frustrates me more is that many keybaords today have a "compact" design with no space between the numpad and the arrow keys. They often overlap as well. Or even worse, they come without a numpad.

Remember that keyboards were designes for use without a mouse, which makes it a whole lot more practical. ctrl, shift, tab and alt keys on the left and the input on the right hand (which you have more control over). I for one hate to use a numpad with my left hand. A mirrored layout of the numpad on the left hand should work nicely, though. You will also probably be able to type/navigate faster with your right hand contra your left.

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

You'd retrain your brain to use the keypad left handed. Would take a few days/weeks depending on how often you used the numpad. Actually thinking about it, it really wouldnt be too hard to relearn. I assume you can use a calculator with you left hand when you write (with a pen!) with you right? And a calculator has the same layout as a numpad so it should be easy...

Would be nice for a company to offer the mirrored setup or for some one to figure out how to mod it. Would be nice to just try it for a month or two and see if it is any better.

6. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

100% agree, I use the numerical pad for gaming instead of wasd and have to stick my keyboard at an angle to keep it on my desk

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Modding it would be easy, well fudging it would be easy.

Compact keyboard + usb numpad + duck tape = Jamies mirrored Keyboard.

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Think of it this way - how do you normally use a calculator? Do you use the digits on your right hand to key in numbers?

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I find whenever I'm using the Numpad, I don't use the mouse, like in Excel. I'm happy how it is. As for the 'dead' spot, I just use a very sensitive mouse so I can have the mouse close to the right edge of the board.

10. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

You can always purchase a separate USB numberpad to position to the left of the keyboard. I too find that if I'm using the number pad extensively, I hardly need to use the mouse.

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

1) I find the existing layout ideal actually, but then I've got fairly wide shoulders and lots of desktop realestate.

2) I tend to use the mouse OR the numpad naturally, I can't forsee a time that I'd want to use both because using the alt keys or arrow keys will not suffice.

3) Lazy! :p

4) See 1) :).

I'd miss the numpad if it wasnt there, and cannot picture myself using it on the left, but I am right handed.

What do left-handed mousers think of the numpad being on the right?

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I rolled my eyes at the thread title, but thinking about it, I agree. I never really questioned the num-pad, but I wouldn't mind a keyboard that doesn't have one at all.
    After all, you can get USB numpads for lappies - I have one - and I'd rather use that and be able to put it away when I don't need it (i.e. 99% of the time).

13. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Atleast your keyboards keys dont randomly shift to the left about a half an inch. Doing so creates words like gwkko or jurrsne.;s' Is bad.

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Why does your keyboard shift to the left? Is it afraid of mice?

*Ba-doom* *Tsch!!*

15. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

No it just does, its like interplanetary time warp phase shifting. It hates me. I cant carry on conversations without a jurrwb in there...

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I have to say I agree with all your arguments. I, however, would have quite a hard time playing UT considering the fact that I move using the arrows and bind all my weapons on the numpad

17. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Agreed on the rant, and easily solved. Get a USB keypad for notebooks, get a keyboard with no numpad, mod into one device if needed :D

18. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Found a solution (same keyboard I use).

[​IMG]

19. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i find the current numberpad layout fine
    three fingers over the keys and my thumb & index to use the arrows around excel

Tags: