1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Idiots guide to bitcoin mining

Discussion in 'Software' started by xxxsonic1971, 15 Oct 2011.

1. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Hello all,
    Can anyone tell me in laymans terms what bitcoin mining is? I have read a few things about it online but it just gets too technical.
    many thanks.

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

It's like folding, except the end result is an accepted currency.

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

From what I've read, it's a glorified scam and a waste of power and money..
    You'll waste more money on power than you'll ever gain from the 'mining'. At least f@h has a scientific benefit :)

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

my 6970 does 420 hash by itself.. it's really taken over by the botnet though

you can't really expect to make 50 coins solo without a really big setup nowdays.. I had over 1k running 24/7 for over 3 weeks and couldn't solo a block.. and that was when around 4 blocks were being solved an hour

the difficulty to solve the hash increases with each one too..

the value fluctuates a lot- depends on when the coins are unloaded by the hoarders who are looking to sell them for a good price

the guys making all the coins are the hackers.. if you get power for free, it can be free money though mining in a pool

gui miner isn't bad.. guy keeps it updated with the latest fixes and speed optimizations guys come up with

5. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

These days, the mining is now so difficult, it isn't worth the time. I remember it beginning to rapidly increase in difficulty. Sad days

6. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

It's hardly a sad day when you can no longer print your own money.

7. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Scam? Mmm... no. Not the word I would use to describe it, as shady as it sounds when first reading about it.
    It can be profitable with AMD GPUs depending on your cost per Kwh, but it certainly has taken a dive in recent months. CPU or Nvidia based GPU mining is pointless.
    NOT a good time to get into it.

8. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

I spent weeks researching this. Its an interesting idea, but vulnerable to hackers, botnets and massive market instability.

It also is rediculously difficult now unless you work in a large mining pool. ATI GPUs used to be really good, but one on its own is useless.