1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Another Intel Broadwell delay rumoured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Feb 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

..guess they shouldn't have been such an over priced product then.

A quad core CPU should not still cost nearly £180-£200 in 2014.

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Also still no sign of "Haswell-E" either?

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Intel need to smoke a big Bob Marley joint and calm the fudge down. These days just feel so much like the 80s when we got a new computer pretty much weekly that wasn't much better than the one before. People will eventually stop wanting to spend out £300 for a board and CPU/ that offer them about 10% more than the last £300 worth.

I really don't know why Intel keep smashing out these desktop parts. There's just no need for it.

5. bowman

bowman Minimodder

In shocker, Intel produces uninteresting products that provide marginal performance gain and try to sell them for exorbitant prices when faced with no effective competition.

It's like everyone forgot what these guys were like before the Athlon 64 hit..

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am not surprised they have "Excess" stock when the price they are charging is ridiculous for them.

There are 2 reasons why I have not upgraded my dads pc to a Haswell or Ivy based system, and that is because of the heat in the cpu's and the maximum of about 15% performance improvement over his 2700K that he has now, which is running at stock speed.

When he does need a performance boost I will get him a decent cooler and just overclock it since I know that chip will run at 4.8ghz.

Either way Intel only have themselves to blame for having to much stock, maybe if they dropped the price and didn't come out with new chips every 12 months that offer such a pathetically small, performance improvement then they would probably sell more.

Myself I am waiting for Haswell E, and if that isn't at least a 25% improvement on Sandybridge E then I will wait for the next one.

7. AlienwareAndy

haha they were like it after, too ! Even though the P4 absolutely blew chunks they still charged a king's ransom for it !

More money for less performance?!?! some how Intel always came out of a bucket of poo smelling like roses though.

Things have changed though. People no longer have the money to just dump their existing stuff and keep continually upgrading for hardly any change in performance.

8. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Ivy Bridge silicon seems to be holding its value well, I don't think Haswell offers enough of a jump to tempt buyers. I think they need to leave more time between releases tbh. Most of the e-trailers are selling IB stock at the same prices as Haswell.

That combined with a socket change had dented sales, I'll be sticking with my **** tier i5 3330 for another few years.

Also AMD aren't exactly grabbing sales either.

9. AlienwareAndy

AMD are chugging along just fine. I looked at their sales for 2013 and for a company their size the results were good.

Intel are spending big on R&D. Each time they come up with a new CPU and socket etc it is costing them money. I just don't see why they're bothering though if the gains are as weak as they have been. Haswell over Sandy? well the extra heat means that you end up pretty much dead level. The extra IPC of the Haswell is lost in the translation of overclocking. The Sandy can be clocked much higher (at least 400mhz from what I've seen) and thus pretty much makes up for the extra IPC Haswell has that it can't put into an overclock.

Not just that but I have seen numerous cases of Haswell CPUs being absolute stinkers and not even being able to go further than 4ghz.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

anyone who bought an i5 2500k is laughing all the way to the bank they really are.

11. AlienwareAndy

Or a I7 950 etc. I mean yeah Sandybridge was a lot faster but get any 1366 to 4ghz and there's still absolutely no reason to bother.

The funny thing is as time passes the older I7s begin to come more and more into their own due to the better software coming out. I'm absolutely intrigued by this 32nm Westmere I've ordered. I really can't wait to get Windows 8 on it and see what it can do with the more modern titles.

AMD? when people realise what has happened with Piledriver they will start buying. Mind you, who knows? the PDs could actually be selling very well right now. I do know that AMD have priced them amazingly aggressively lately so that could be because they were selling, or, to tempt more people into buying.

The only cost AMD have left now is manufacturing. They don't keep continually spunking money into new technology that we don't need. All they needed to do was sit back with their fingers locked and their hands behind their head and wait until the software came along.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The gains have been weak because sheer computation power wasn't the goal for Haswell, it was reducing the power draw and making it more mobile friendly. My guess is people didn't buy as many mobile based devices with Intel hardware in them as they expected, or were led to believe.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I agree with all of the above. I only run my 2500k at 4.2 because it appeals to the geek in me, in reality I'd be happy enough running it at stock almost all the time.

As time marches forward and it starts to show its age I'll bump it on up to the 5GHz which I know it'll do on air, and then eventually when I actually need to replace it I'll pick the next big thing in terms of price to performance and that'll probably last half a decade or more itself.

I genuinely can't see that there'll be any need for me to upgrade this core platform until it's at least 5 years old, maybe a little more. By that time AMD's 'patient' approach to architecture will either have paid off or they'll be bankrupt. Assuming the former, I sense a move back to red in the future.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Enjoy that 2500K chaps, because I seriously doubt Intel will make that mistake again. Bunch of price-gouging swines.

15. AlienwareAndy

I'm aware of why they developed Haswell and it had anything but the desktop market in mind. However, the desktop market is still a huge part of their bread and butter and so they need to sell it to people.

The problem is that people are either figuring out that Haswell is a waste of time (after doing so) or were smart enough in the first place to avoid it completely. That could be because they were pissed off at needing a new board or saw through the glowing reviews and saw it for what it was.

Either way Intel will probably stay stuck with them as sense and reason are beginning to play a part. The recession has kicked in, people have way less money, the govt has cut spending and that ricochets all the way down to the consumer.

Sure a price drop would help, but if it's not even worth £1 to piss around changing all of your hardware then it's not going to be worth any price they put on it.

16. AlienwareAndy

Sandy needed to be what it was to completely win the stupid performance war with AMD once and for all. It's not even like AMD were talking fighting words they had already conceded and admitted they weren't going to compete.

But yeah, Intel's silly muscle flexing has definitely cost them.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

What I don't get is intel is raking in more money than they know what to do with. It seems in the past 2 or 3 years they've been making around $10 billion on average in just profits. They have nothing to spend that kind of money on, their prices remain consistently high, they're getting more sales due to AMD not being of interest, and they're laying people off. What is Intel trying to do, create a space station? Buy a developed country?

But seriously, they need to ditch their -E series and release no more than 1 architecture per year. Give us a reason to upgrade. Even the firs generation i7 is overkill for the average person.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not really, Gareth reported that...
    Not sure what class of device falls into the PC Client Group though :confused:

19. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

still run my q6600....i must be poor.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Desktops and laptops.