1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Intel's cloud computing vision from 3 1/2 years Ago

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 18 Mar 2014.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This ad, first broadcast in October 2010, popped up on a YouTube video I was watching this morning and at first I thought it was current. It immediately got me wondering how close we've drawn to this five year prediction and plan that Intel had 3 1/2 years ago. I don't work as closely with cloud computing on an enterprise scale as some of you might, but my personal and small business digital life has been pretty much revolutionised by cloud computing platforms like iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive. There's also the new 100% cloud based C2K network which I'll be managing in school from the end of April, featuring Office 365. How close is the world of enterprise IT to Intel's 2015 vision of standardised, widely available cloud services?

2. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Great Video

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Surely this is just marketing fluff? They didn't actually mention any specific ideas or initiatives in the video! Can you give me an example of "open, interoperable cloud services"? iCloud, Google Drive, Outlook, Dropbox, Amzon EC2/AWS, and Azure are still walled gardens.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Sorry, I may not have worded my question that well and you've slightly misinterpreted my post. I said my personal and SB daily digital life had been changed by those services and I asked how close if at all we were to anything they mentioned in the video on an enterprise level. I don't expect mainly consumer services like those I use daily to inherit industry standardization. Office 365 is a different story, but it's Microsoft owned, so it isn't really sensible to think they might use any sort of standard cloud based back end.

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

ah sorry - I'm afraid I don't know much about enterprise/SB stuff!