1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Home Server via LAN cable - does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 8 May 2010.

1. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

Every PC in my house uses a wi-fi adapter to access the internet. The router is connected to a PC I use as a home server, just to store files.

I currently have it directly connected to the router via LAN cable, because I thought that it would be quicker to access if physically connected. ↓

[​IMG]

But since all the other PCs are wirelessly connected to the router, it's very slow to access the server anyway. So does it make a difference if the server is physically connected or not? I ask because the wireless router (and thus the server) is in a very inconvenient location (in the living room semi-hidden behind a couch). So if I attached a wireless adapter to the server, I could move it somewhere more useful, like in the living room next to the TV.

[​IMG]

↑ Would this be any slower at all?

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Only way I'd see it being slower is if both client PC's were using all their available bandwidth.

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, it would be even slower! When you have a '54Mbit' wireless network, that 54Mbit is shared between all the clients. At the moment, you have two devices sharing it. If you added a third, you would see a further decrease in speed.

:)

4. Gunter

Gunter What's a Dremel?

Just want ask you about your signal levels? If you have problems with the location like water, walls and such, your signal maybe lossy or it could be strong with a bunch of noise, and 30 inches can be a great difference in signal strenght, put your router as high as you can because as far as I know (I maybe wrong) the waves spread in a umbrella form.

Just trying to help.

5. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I have to say - personally - I'd keep it wired. No chance you can move the wireless point/router? But that said - try it out. If you get problems, swap it back. You can pick up usb wifi sticks dead cheap these days, and it might be that you can get away with needing less bandwidth on your wireless...

6. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

I see. So because it would be imposing two speed limits (two wireless paths) instead of just one, accessing the shared folders would be even slower, even if it is already dog slow.

Unfortunately, I can't. My house only has one cable outlet, and it's next to the fireplace in the living room (the one that lacks a TV or any electronics).

7. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

The extra wireless link would just increase the latency and decrease the speed as others have said.

8. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Big speed difference. Not just speed per se, but "responsiveness" as well which is latency. And if other computers are using the wireless bandwidth, your server will suffer if anyone is accessing it.

Can't you just get a long ethernet cable? Get a 10m cable for a few quid. Then you can move the server and keep router in the same place...

You can get 50m of Cat5e for £25 if you need it :p

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You could get Ethernet over Power bricks, 200mbps models, and have your server anywhere in the house.

I do this between my PC and router, and the Mrs. has her laptop on Wifi.

10. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

This is probably your best bet to be honest, if you don't want to have Cat5e lying around.

But yes, that will slow your network even more. Depending on your wireless router, you may only have the single wireless adapter inside of it. Adding a client wirelessly effectively cuts down the amount of time the router will talk to each client (assuming all are active); and thus, speed+latency get worse. That's in very broad terms anyway...!

Try sticking your wireless router higher in the house though, that might help.

11. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

+1