1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows, V7 client and A4 bonuses!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 1 Aug 2012.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hows everyone getting on running the Windows v7 client with the A4 core bonuses?

I have decided its pretty crap to be honest, pretty much every machine I have ran it on has generally produced less points that with the older 6.34 client on A3 cores, some machines worse than others and the PPP (points per project) vary so much so trying to work out an accurate PPD is almost impossible :(

Best one though was running it on my SR2 with 2 x hex core Xeons at 4.2ghz (24 threads) I normally get anywhere between 120,000 PPD (A3 cores) to 230,000 PPD on BigBeta projects......
    ...........I get between 70,000 and 90,000 on Windows 7 client and A4 cores, even with the 10% bonus on top making it still just 77,000 - 100,000 PPD I left the flag on for advanced projects but not picked up any either so still needs more work I think, and no wonder they put a 10% bonus on A4 cores as they suck so much :p lol

Pah!! Back to Ubuntu and the old 6.34 client me thinks!! :)

2. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

same boat as you coolamaster.... was running A4 did get some good WU's to start off with then went down hill from there back to V6 :D

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Ditto, was great for a few days. Continually getting stupid PPD, 40k from a 2500k! But now its dropped, and some are giving just 6kPPD so has dragged me average down.

4. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Same as above. The projects are way too varied. I dropped about 4-6kppd average running 8 cores on my 2600k compared to running 7 cores in a vmware linux folding setup.

They really need to work on consistency with the units to make it worthwhile. Getting a work unit that is only worth 10-12kppd on a 2600k running at 4.2ghz is just plain crap.

5. coolamasta

I'm still very unhappy with these A4 projects, over the weekend I installed the V7 client on my SR-2 rig running Ubuntu 12.04 x64 and I still get far less PDD with the A4 cores running bigbeta with the 10% bonus that I do running bog standard SMP client with the A3 cores!!

I will always hit around 120,000 PPD minimum with the standard A3 SMP but im only getting like 80,000 (88,00 with bonus) PPD with the A4 bigbeta projects, I've given it a few days for a chance to pick up different A4 core projects but none of them so far will get over 100,000 ppd. :wallbash:

I know we don't fold just for points but when you have invested in some pretty expensive hardware you sort of expect a decent point return to make your efforts a bit more reward-able but its just not happening with these A4 cores, I think they needs at least a 25% bonus to make them worth while... :(

Going to give it 2 more days to change my mind then im going back to the 6.34 client...

EDIT: Have currently just picked up a project 8049 and im getting 30,000 PPD on 24 threads @ 4.2ghz WTF!!! :wallbash:

Last edited: 28 Aug 2012
  6. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

Hi Coolamasta

A4 projects are all normal SMP, the bigadv projects use the A5 core. With the SR2 try setting "client-type" to "bigadv" if it is set to "advanced" you will only get normal SMP work units. With V6.34 you could add lots of flags to the run command. With V7 you must choose a client-type: advanced, bigadv or beta. I do not know where bigbeta fits into this but as I understand it the beta setting should only be used by members of the beta testing team :nono:.

You will definitely want to run the Kraken, I do not know how to install it but I need to find out.

Good luck.

7. coolamasta

Cheers, I didn't realise A4 was only for new SMP, I was under the assumption that there were A4 bigbeta's as well, even though I have client-type set to bigbeta I don't seem to have picked any up in 2 days, just getting the A4 projects :(

Yeah really want to get the Kraken working, I made a new thread on here earlier to see if anyone knows how to get it working on the v7 Linux client, hopefully will be some replies...

8. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I've been getting A4 based WU's recently, for the first time, on my Win7 SMP machines running v6.34. The PPD, even including the 10% bonus, is somewhat less than the A3 based WU's and probably ties in with what you've seen.

9. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

my V7 client seems to be getting A3 core WU's on my i7 hmmmmm

10. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

I seem to be only getting A4's on my V6.34 client running win7. Has killed my PPD.

May switch back to V7 for a bit and see how it runs.

*edit*

Screw V7! Just knocked another 10k PPD off my 2600k!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012