1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Home plug advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 24 Apr 2014.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hey everyone

My friends and I are moving into a new 6 bedroom house, and several of us want a wired connection, but running ethernet cable everywhere isn't ideal. Are there and home plug kits that are bigger than a set of three? We need more like 4+.

Also, can you run several kits on the same wiring or do they interfere with each other?

Cheers :)

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

There are not larger kits sadly. Make sure to get all 500 AV from the same company and ones with intel nic are preferred like solwise or delovo. You do pay for it. it works like wireless so you share the bandwidth.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You can run multiple kits on same wiring and secured so that they don't communicate with each other if you want, can't comment on performance in that scenario, but certainly heavily loading 4 points in a homeplug network impacts latency and bandwidth a bit more extreme than a normal wired LAN setup.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thanks guys. I'm sure I've seen somewhere you can add plugs on, as its the only logical sense why you can buy single plugs, so more research is needed I think.

5. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I added various plugs to our home network over the years, about 5 or 6 by the end. As long as they're all the same model you'll have no problems. I don't put much faith in the AV standards body, but you'd still likely be ok with different models of the same generation.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

What make/model were those?

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

As he said if they all have the same standards they should all work, mine were Zyxel, 42x5 all worked great together, I have had up to 6 running on the past, in addition to the this neighbour had some provided by his broadband provider (not sure of brand) and when we both had no security set our networks merged, I think he had 3 or 4 so you should have no problem running quite a few.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I have a mix of brands and speeds, as long as they are of a compatible standard they just sync without issue.

Good speeds too.

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Some no-brand cheapies from ebuyer back before the first AV standards were finalised. Almost certain that you can't buy them any more. 75Mbps theoretical - not the fastest, but utterly reliable.