1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Getting pissed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Karas, 30 Nov 2011.

1. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

I've been recommended mobo's and I did long research looking for a good mobo. All I need is for it to be compatible with my intel 2500k and im good but EVERY SINGLE motherboard i look and theres 40-60 5 star reviews but its the 10-20 1 star reviews of the motherboard failing and destroying other parts in there system which makes me not want to even consider buying a new mobo but I sort of have no choice.

I need help finding a mobo that's known for being reliable and NOT kill any other parts in the rig, I can't afford to destroy any of the other parts I have otherwise i'm screwed. On the other hand I assumed the bad reviews where from people who handled it incorrectly.

EX of mobos I looked at:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157251

I think i'm just alittle to paranoid D:

2. jtek

jtek What's a Dremel?

If all the parts are new enough, couldn't you just return anything it kills under warranty along with it?

I couldn't see any reviews mentioning it killing other things on a quick skim, what parts do people seem to be killing? If it's anything that plugs directly into the PSU it's more likely people are using cheap PSUs which do have a habit of killing everything connected to them.

3. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Not exactly, only parts that will be new are the mobo and processor the rest are from last years upgrade and thats not near close to all the mobo's i looked at just a few to show what I meant and the ones I did see about frying components in the system where usually either the video card or processor which sucks because those are basically the 2 most expensive parts. I do have a nice PSU though so that's a good thing to hear that it's possibly there pieces of **** psu's

4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

How much do you want to spend ? Tell me your mobo budget and il find you one on newegg :).

And please tell me the rest of the spec of your system.

5. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

No more then 170$ if possible and thank you your help is much appreciated.

EVGA Gtx 460
    AMD Athlon x4 640
    4GB DDR3
    1TB HDD
    550watt Antec PSU
    MSI 785GM-p45

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Keep in mind it's newegg reviews where many people have no idea what they are talking about. A big pinch of salt is needed there. But, I wouldn't recommend Asrock at all. While they are better now than they used to be, I still think their quality is more suspect.
    I recommend the evga P67. Yes it is more expensive, but all evga products I have owned have been rock solid, hassle free and OC well.

7. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Ah, I had a feeling some of them would be from people that didn't handle them well. and yeah I was alittle curious about asrock because to be honest I never really heard of them. And thanks for the recommendation i'll for sure keep that in mind for future reference and good thing you mentioned OC'ing because I need a mobo that'll let me OC my 2500k with ease.

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Is this the current system ? As in the first post you said you was looking for a 1155 mobo for a 2500k.

Just want to clear that up so i know exactly what to find you.

Do you have a size preference, micro atx/full atx. And do you have a colour theme (only reason i ask is because this mobo is EXCELLENT)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759

9. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

All I can say is holy damn.. You got everything perfect with that board. And that's current system but for christmas is when i'm getting the i5 2500k and mobo. now back to getting everything right I mean I actually prefer mATX over ATX and the colors of that board are the exact same as my case. Black case with red LED Fans and it'll also match the RAM I decided on just 5 minutes ago http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417 so thank you man I appreciate your help!

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Any time buddy, it really is an excellent board, highly rated on this forum and others. Loads of people run it on here as its jam packed full of features for its size.

What will be the final spec of your 2500k build, will you be reusing any parts from the AMD machine you posted above ?

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

As for the memory, you cant go wrong with Corsair or G.Skill. Although 1600mhz seems to be the sweet spot for price/performance atm.

You could pick this memory up for $2 more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Red heatsinks on black PCB, one of the best looking sticks of memory around ! And its low enough profile for majority of air coolers.

ninja edit/

Unless you are a fan of the G.Skill sniper, they do it in a 1600mhz kit with low voltages @ 1.35v

@ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231479

12. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Post up a complete list of the components you are thinking about for the 2500k build and myself and other bit tech'ers will no doubt make tweeks/offer advice.

13. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Keep in mind; when 1000 people buy a product, you won't see the 999 reviews of the people who had no issues, but you can bet that the 1 guy who had issues will let everyone know.

"Bad news can travel halfway around the world while the good news is putting on its shoes."

modd1uk likes this.
  14. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Wow how did I not see that. Thanks again man your saving my *** left and right. now this will be the build when I finish.

EVGA Gtx 460 1GB
    1TB HDD
    8GB Ripjaw 1600 ram<3
    Core i5 2500k (Will oc to 4.0ghz)<3
    Asus maximus IV Gene-Z mobo
    550watt antec psu
    And it'll all be put in a CM Storm scout case

15. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

So the new components you will be buying will be :

Ram
    CPU
    Mobo

As you already have :
    PSU
    HDD

Is the case a new case or is it your current case, and what cpu cooler do you plan on using, a 4.0ghz overclock is very easily achievable.

I OC'd my 2500k to 4.9ghz for benchmarks :clap:

16. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I assume you are familiar with handling electronic components and the risks of ESD. I think you are right in that the it is probable may of the bad reviews on Newegg come down to people incorectly handling sensitive electronic components.

17. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

That is correct, and this is my current case and the cooler master hyper 212 is the one i'm heading for or I got recommended the gelid tranquillo

18. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Asus/MSI/Gigabyte buying one of them gives you quality. Most breakages come from muppets who don't know what they are doing. 99.9% of the time if there is a problem with one o these motherboards it's simply a case of it being Dead on Arrival or having a fault in a slot causing it not to function.

I've built a number of PCs and have NEVER had anything fry because of one of those mobos. Only times I have heard of things frying is when someone connects the PSU to the wrong parts.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I got the Gene-Z from Asus for my build and could not be happier, well naturally if all USB where USB3 that would have been better but it will be a few year yet for that dream.

it is Z68 mATX and according to Bit Tech one of the fastest MB at stock second only to the full AXT version.

20. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Why would having all USB 3 be better? As far as I can tell most current USB devices are not USB 3 (or at least would not use the bandwidth).

I'm not saying USB3 isn't better, just not sure if I'm missing something that might help performance when I connect devices.