1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 2560x1440 plus 1080p dual screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donok, 2 Jan 2014.

1. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

Hello guys

I need a graphics card that can dual screen onto a 2560x1440 screen and a 1080p screen. Just need something quiet that can display hd.

Main uses are 1080p films and general ms office work
    Some gameplay but mostly minecraft

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Can get a R7 260X for £100 but even that i think would be a little over kill.

what ever you get i would stay 2GB+ because of the massive screen rez.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The Some game play element of your requirement is the only real factor here as most cards can do both screens and hd.

So do you intend to play anything other than minecraft?

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

the nvidia 8600gts i was using temporarily was able to do 2560x1400 + 1920x1200 without problems (surprised me tbh)

any modern card can do this, so just pick whatever looks good in your budget

5. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

what CPU have you got?? theres a reason I ask, I was able to run my 1080p screen off the HD4000 graphics on my 3570k, it did the job well enough, as I used the 7950 to power the main screen, and only gamed on the main one.

have now moved to dual graphics because that solution only worked in windows, leaving ubuntu on 1 screen only. I tried a DP/VGA adapter which worked fine for ubuntu, but not windows, but also had side effect of bumping clocks. having a 6450 for the second monitor is quieter and more power efficient, and more importantly works on both OS's

6. donok

Iv got a g2020 so no output at 2560x1440

I wasnt sure if id need a certain type of card or i could use any modern card. Will set a budget and grab a modern card.

I need dual dvi for 2560x1440 and hdmi for 1080p ideally

Setup is a u2711 and a 50inch 1080p tv

7. donok

My pc at the minute is silent. Any cards that are quiet ?

8. donok

Nvidia Gt 640 ?

Gaming wise i dont really play anything too stressful. I would love to play battlefield at some point

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

There are no truly "Silent" Graphics cards, not unless you go for passive cooled versions that'll likely perform the worlds best impression of a Supernova under any intense load.

Best thing to do is try and get something with an aftermarket cooler, Asus Direct CU, MSI Lightning, even the Gainward Phantom designs are usually quieter than factory designs in most cases, Minecraft will attempt to use every last bit of power given, however, so some noise may occur while you're running that.

Edit; having had a quick fish about on Scan, I think This would suit your purposes quite well, it's more powerful than you currently need, but if you really want to get started on Battlefield; it should at least manage to get the game playable on minimum, so it'd give you a starting point with the game.

Tad more expensive than I'd like to recommend, but the Windforce cooler is damn good at keeping things in check, and reasonably quiet in most cases.

10. donok

i only got a 430w corsair psu would that effect the gpu decision

11. PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn Unholy Cyborg Fruit Machine

but your not going to be running games on both monitors (2 monitors is bad, and differing resolutions will make it worse) I personally game on the 1440p and use the 1080p for teamspeak and ff.

and if I run fullscreen vid on the second screen the 6450 copes fine. (its passively cooled and haven't seen it go above 65c) and that with overclocked 7950 blowing hot air onto it

just remember that running 2 screens with different resolutions WILL cause the GPU to upclock itself so will be running warmer and noisier. hence the reason I run 2 cards

12. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Stuck an aftermarket cooler on my GTX680, it isn't "silent" (if by silent you mean passively cooled silent) but it is so darn quiet I can game at full load, and someone walking past the PC can't even tell that it is on.

Forgot what the cooler was called now, some quadruple slot dualx140mm fan monster of some design or other.