1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Mod a case with no parts? Skinning a Dragon

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jhanlon303, 22 Dec 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm wondering that since it seems MB and CPU and Video change so quickly, is is acceptable to plan a case mod without knowing which MB or GPU one is going to end up using? Example, suppose I have a full tower case and plan to H2O cool the end results. We all know how big radiators and fans and pumps and optical drives and VFD panels and ... are! Would it be ignorant to plan a case mod with out having the main parts in hand. I mean by the time one invests months making windows and ordering plexi and getting radiators and pumps and PSUs the rest would seem to me to just fall into place if the early parts are well chosen for their expected end usage.

Requirement - Full ATX, some Video GPU(SLI or Crossfire or whatever) couple opticals and 2 or 3 1 Tb SATA 3 HDD.

Pick a modular 1Kw PSU or larger, a 120.3 radiator or 120.4 (or 2) and design the tower from that?

Have the case designed, cutting done, and painting polishing and anodizing before ever seeing a MB.

Any of this make sense? I don't want to give away too much of my plan.

john

Last edited: 3 Jan 2009
    cpemma likes this.
  2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

My first mod I started to design without any hardware, than I got my new pc so I just put my old pc into it... I think it is acceptable, you just can't get very specific as you don't know whats going where, and what you want to be a focal point if say you were to cut a window.

3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

No the way I currently mod :D, but I'm sure it's possible. It seems that most things you can look up standards for (dimensions, etc), but things like cable and tube routing can depend on components and header location speciific to the Mobo, which might add difficulty down the road. I recall seeing someones h2o plan here where the blocks had specific inlet and outlets, and you had to know where those were if you wanted to hide/manage them well.

But overall, I'd say yes. It seems that a lot of people have mods with certain hardware in mind but not in hand, and mod around those designs. Then when new hardware gets available, plans are modified if needed.

But this is all hypothetical... for me, since I'm doing so much of my modding as rough dimensions, try it out, trim to fit, etc... I'd need to have hardware on hand, or a similar model for upgrade.

4. jhanlon303

I'll show you guys the case and some thoughts tomorrow. I'm waiting for my CF panels to get through customs and come see me for my H2O-C7 mod. I can almost promise no more mods that small unless I can get my granddaughter to lend me her tiny hands.

john

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The big problem with building like this is the video card area. Depending on the motherboard, the card can be anywhere in the expansion slot area.
    The d*mn video cards need 15" from the back wall for clearance nowadays.
    So you need to leave a huge open area for just one card.
    I planned both my atx cases with upgrades in mind. Bloo will still have to get serious surgery to accommodate a newer video card, (and bigger radiator.)

cpemma likes this.
  6. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

It really depends, John. If you're hinting at what we talked about via PM/email, you'll have no problems in that area with that case! :hehe: Plenty of room.

Everyone does things different, though. Personally, I tend to design/mod with a certain idea of a theme/style in mind as well as operational necessities, but others mod simply for operational necessities alone. If you plan out accordingly, and make sure all your measurements are correct, you can get all the 'grunt-work' taken care of like window cuts, holes, etc. before even having the final hardware in hand.

I'm not directing this at you personally, John, and I know it sounds like common sense, but I can't stress enough how important correct measurements are. I tend to parrot that whenever some newb posts questions about modding something on other forums, but it's the truth.

cpemma likes this.
  7. Fumduck

Fumduck Have torch, will melt.

I'm doing my desk project in this manner. Even though I have the CPU in hand. The good thing about modern PC's is the standards. If you design the chassis to the standards, you should not have any problems. As others have said, the video card is your biggest challenge. Those buggers are massive. :eeek: And if you water cool it not only is it a long card, but tall too.

Someone here (well several people) have posted about http://www.formfactors.org. Great site if all you need is specs.

Good luck, I'll be watching for your next worklog. :)

8. jhanlon303

Before my H2O-C7 project I had never done anything with water cooling. I have never owned a video card - now I won one! I have never had an audio card.

I am a boring old git! [​IMG]

My lady/wife Marilyn is pushing the next mod and is being somewhat critical of my frugality.:wallbash:

She wants to see something big enough to show off to people who come over. So :dremel::dremel::dremel:

9. Fumduck

:worried::worried::worried::naughty::worried::worried::worried:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Congrats on MotM. maybe you can win a second time when the case is compelted. :hehe:

mvagusta likes this.
  10. jhanlon303

This is bigger

Somewhat bigger than H2O-C7

[​IMG]

with mATX P4 EE. Been a while - it still uses IDE and I've been replacing all my IDE drives with SATA

[​IMG]

GET OUT OF THERE! YOU HAVE YOUR OWN CASE.

[​IMG]

Cheapskate knows things and he says I need 15" for a video card. How about 16" from rear I/O to inside edge of 5.25 drive bay?

[​IMG]

This might be big enough for a full ATX with video. What do you guys think?

john

11. jhanlon303

I fit well within these guidelines. I have never actually modded a manufacturers case. For many years I have been what can best be described as a "found object" modder or scratch builder. By this I mean putting computers into stuff like wicker picnic baskets, small washing machine toys, or just building clear cases to fit my stuff, like H2O-C7.
    This modding of a real case is scary for the first time modder - even if it's not the first time. That make any sense?

If I was confident enough to just plunge in, we would be in project logs not modding.

john

12. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

I figure this is a better way to mod a case since hardware gets outdated pretty quickly. I could understand modding around the hardware if you already have it. I'd still make room for upgrades. 5 years from now, do you want your outdated mod to be stuffed in a closet or in the basement or do u want to keep it up and running for all to bask in it's glory? If you don't I suppose you could always mod your... mod?

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

-And we all know what a pain in the *ss that is. Right, kiddies?:hehe:

14. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

I think so... you might have to figure on the pcie power plug and cord. I've believe I've seen them on the top edge as well as on the farthest edge from the case wall (if that makes sense. Can't think of a better way to describe it besides long edge and skinny edge)

But then again, you don't need all that drive bay space right? a little surgery and you'll have plenty of room... (and will soon be looking for more hardware to stick in there!)

15. jhanlon303

6 external 5.25 bays and 2 external 3 1/2" bays seems like enough for a reasonable mod.

john

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Gotta think as well, the longest GPU PCB I've personally gotten my grubby hands on is the GTX280, and it's the same size as the 8800Ultra and the 4870x2.... 10.5" long. I dunno about the new stuff around the corner, but I doubt they're going to push that length at this point; most people don't run full-towers like some of us oldschool W/Cers do, so they're not going to have the room for a miniature aircraft carrier flightdeck/GPU. The mobo won't necessarily be an issue either.

I guess it just depends on what kinda 'Cheshire Cat' you have up your sleeve, John!

17. jhanlon303

Back in the day, my builds used 2 opticals. DVD +-RW technology was just coming into it's own and it was advised to "save the lasers" on the RW by running a DVD ROM just for playback and the RW only when writing. Things have changed quickly. I have a new Dual layer Lightscribe do everything DVD optical in a box here. That leaves a bunch of available 5.25 bays. I've been looking around and there is a plethora of available bay devices. This will be a chance to try out things like bay res, fan controllers, VFD displays, etc.

It's kind of refreshing to have a case big enough to allow one to actually use off the shelf parts. Of course they don't have to remain 'off the shelf' in looks.

A modder could spend a whole day and bookmark enough parts to do justice to a case this big.
    And to think I've been using it as an end table beside my chair to set my coffee cup on (suitably protected).

john

18. Fumduck

That case looks big enough to stuff an eATX MB in. ooooooo dual processor. You could fold at home and frag away at the same time. :)

I miss the days when cases had edge supports for full length cards, and cards had brakets to extend them from the supports. One thing I've always worried about it the board sagging / bending in a tower case when it's unsupported.

19. jhanlon303

The box says eATX right on it and includes brackets for dual Xeons:

[​IMG]

Sounds like an opportunity for a creative modder.

With a side panel opening of 22" x 22" a person could fit most anything. Bracing, cable management tray, radiators, etc. Big cases are new to me - should be fun. The challenge I see is keeping up to the Lian-Li quality and fit.

john

20. Fumduck

...... small child, really big snake......