1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox founder derides Microsoft's 'progress'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Wait we are talking about the company that made Windows 8.
    What does he expect ?

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why is he not there anymore?

I've nothing but praise for the new dashboard and it's UI. You can also point out that because you can use a windows laptop to design an APP and try it out on your friends Andriod or iPad, the quality of said apps is highly questionable.

Looks like someone caught him in the middle of a fine wine session and asked him for some quotes o.0

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

Sour grapes perhaps?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You haven't spent much time on the Xbox Live Indie Game Marketplace, have you? Quality is variable, but trends towards dross. Oh, and dodgy Japanese games with pre-pubescent 'maids,' and their apparently-written-by-twelve-year-olds western knock-offs.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'd have to agree that the last two iterations of the X- Box OS haven't been brilliant (I actually seriously hate the metro interface that it has evolved into and still prefer the original "Blade" interface) and while the last update did improve it slightly over the previous version, it also made it a lot slower transitioning between sections.

Also there seems to be a few bugs with the latest version - like the sign in bug where it doesn't sign you in, even though your profile is set to auto-sign in (and selecting your profile results in a system hang up where it's quicker to reset the 360 than wait for it to load the profile).

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I dislike the Xbox experience so much that I packed mine away and put it on the loft.

I have a profile for anyone that insists on having one and me playing it, and that's stored on a USB stick.

I'm not much for Sony, either. I'd have put that in the loft too, if it weren't for the misses using it occasionally and me using it for Dust 514 on occasion.

8. Hanoken

Hanoken O.O

ah you got to another point made by Brown... because of the cluncky os, other competitors are able to hold onto the competition. He just throws out how Microsoft is not capitalizing what they have and squash the competitors

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Is it not just as bad if not worse on Android and Apple?

You can point out a few bad eggs on the Marketplace but you have to look really hard for anything of quality and decent on Android and Apple stores.

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I own about 20 games on android I'd rate them all as very good or excellent. I've download about five games for free that I would have purchased if they were good but they turned out to be 'not my cup of tea'. My Xbox 360 was sold a long time ago. One thing I've noticed with all my friends that play Xbox 360, they never seem to be enjoying it, they are always frustrated and angry. Totally different to how I am when playing my PC.

11. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

Based on a x86 processor. So once again the console world will remain behind the potential of x64? Interestingly though, with the shift to being more linked to a PC (obviously Windows 8), could this cause some to return to the PC? How long will the general public of gamers go on before they realise that most +£300 laptops could actually play the games they like (Battlefield and the likes) on a controller they are used to and at the same time mean they only have one device drawing energy and taking up space? Maybe the console world coasting is good for the PC lover...

Or am I just being a naieve noob?

12. Gareth Halfacree

Both the Xbox 720 and the PlayStation 4 - or whatever they end up being called - are believed to be powered by 64-bit x86 processors. Have you tried to buy a high-performance 32-bit processor in the last few years? Not easy.

The term "x86" can refer to both 32-bit processors - original x86 - and 64-bit processors - AMD64, or, as Intel prefers, x86-64. This is because AMD64 is merely a 64-bit extension to the 32-bit x86 instruction set architecture - which is why an AMD64-compatible processor, like a Core i7 or an AMD A10 APU, can run 32-bit x86 code without difficulty.