1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows W10 clean install question

Discussion in 'Software' started by neil_b, 4 Jan 2017.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

I have an existing W7 Ent PC, with a 1TB HDD and a couple of SSD's - all running off W7.

I'm going to a clean fresh install of W10 onto the currently empty SSD, and have a couple of questions - my plan is as follows;

1) Disconnect the HDD - its going to be used for apps/games/documents/media etc.
    2) Install W10 onto the (currently) empty 256GB SSD (this disk is currently connected, formatted to NTFS and seems to be working fine - do I need to do anything to it prior to setting it as the boot device?
    3) Re-connect the HDD after the W10 install is complete.
    4) Re-install Office and Photo-Shop onto the newly installed W10 SSD (I really like the speed of response this gives).

So.....

a) Is the above plan reasonable (I know there are different ways of going about this)? Any gotchas?
    b) When I re-connect the HDD, will W10 automatically "see" and "pick-up" the HDD or do I have to do anything to make it happen?

Many thanks.

2. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Additional question - when I go into the BIOS, currently the existing Boot SSD is showing in the boot sequence list, but there is no option to use a Flash Device - how do I get the PC to recognise the Flash Drive as the source for the install, or will it do that anyway if I've already disconnected the old SSD Boot drive?

I also have an MS DVD with a genuine copy of W10, would it be much easier to use the DVD, than faff around in the BIOS trying to get it to recognise a Flash device?

Thanks.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2017
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The DVD version will probably be woefully out of date. With a USB stick you will get the latest build.

Windows 10 should see your other drive when you connect it but you may have to visit drive management to assign it a drive letter.

Your flash drive would probably be under "Hard Drive BBS options" - have a look there.

4. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

In the BIOS Boot options I can see something called Generic Reader 2.0 - is that likely to be a Flash Drive capable option?

When you say visit Driver Management to assign a letter, the SSD I'd like to use is currently connected (with no data loaded into it) and it DOES already have a letter assigned, although it doesn't appear in the Boot Drive options list. Will the mobo know about that drive irrespective of whether W10 can see it?

5. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

The BIOS should detect the SSD no problem (considering if you installed it correctly).

6. rollo

rollo Modder

I have done a USB install of windows 10 onto a Samsung SSD 512gb one and it took about 15mins. To have it into windows and useable.

This is from cheap as chips usb3.0 memory stick I brought for about £5. I do not personally have a cd or dvd drive of any kind.

Most flash drives can be booted from, You just select USB in the boot options. Then it will boot from there on most modern boards

7. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Just to be sure that in the boot options, you opt for 'UEFI' next to whatever your usb stick is and not the other one.