1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD demos Llano APU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwhuNcx4BTY

Why just read?

And before all the integrated graphics haters, don't worry your heads, this isn't marketed towards you anyway. This is about giving higher mainstream/workstation performance without a power hungry video card.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why is it I just can't get interested in this kind of presentation? It may just be the next big thing in this industry but I'd never know because I have the attention span of Homer.

AMD, give us some semi-naked dancing pole dancers, explosions and stuff to shoot at and I'm there with you dudes!

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Wow thats impressive, I certainly cant wait for this and Bulldozer

5. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

hope this works out well for AMD they need the money, and especially laptops with longer battery life and better performance is never a bad thing

6. Snips

That demo shows us nothing. What was the full spec of the machine? Why is it impressive? What is the performance of the competition?

With out comparisons this is completely useless?

7. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Do the same thing with any mainstream laptop out today: that's the competition.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm not much interested in buying one myself, but if processors with relatively decent integrated graphics caught a foothold then it'd be a massive boon for PC gaming as a whole and make the gap between £400 acer craptops and decent gaming rigs smaller.

Imagine how much less hassle developers would have if they no longer had to pander to the Intel GMA masses for the low end.

9. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

it could be doing super pi 32m in 1 week, nothing is said about the speed of carrying out those calculations

10. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

yeh yeh yeh blah blah blah.

just show me the car fax oops i mean benchmarks.

11. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Guys, you make me a bit sad inside.
    Llano isn't due to be launched for at least 6-8 months, so why would AMD be giving out benchmarks now?
    This isn't a launch it is a technology demonstration at the...
    ...and is showing off the potential of the architecture.

12. HourBeforeDawn

seriously??? pick up any laptop and I mean laptop NOT DESKTOP REPLACEMENT and try to do those exact same things with out any stuttering, lag or issues of any kind. Llando draws 2.5w idle and 18 (expected) watt draw at load, really if you were to compare systems on wattage alone you would have to compare this to an Intel Netbook and we know that an Intel Netbook cant even do any of that at all individually let alone all that at once like what was shown there, shoot most full blown laptops cant even do all that at once. This is a HUGE advancements for laptops in terms of power to performance ratio which has crippled the market for years, I mean to have the battery life of a netbook but the performance of a full on (current market) laptop is just awesome.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  13. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

agree with the above poster. the hz to watt ratio seems rather good. imagine the speed you get if they make a chip which draws as much watt as a "full on" chip in todays measures.
    the architecture is the interesting part, the complete specs will be released on a later stage.

14. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

$600 set aside for a new 10" netbook... cant wait. (I know $600 is overkill but I want it bad ass :D )

15. HourBeforeDawn

If they make a Win7 tablet with this, it would be epic and I would sooo buy one in a heartbeat. :)

16. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Llano (which was being demonstrated here) isn't for netbooks and tablets, it is a Phenom II-class CPU for full-sized laptops and desktops.

Furthermore, Llano IS NOT 18w. I wish it was. AMD's slides clearly show that 18w is referring to a Zacate (core) in the Brazos (platform) combination.

What you are thinking of is the Bobcat architecture, which is available in single (Ontario - 9w) and dual (Zacate - 18w) core versions and in the same market segment (though in a far superior performance class) as the Atom.

I know it is confusing with all the code names, but:
    Sabine is the new laptop platform that combines the Hudson M2 and M3 mobile chipsets and Llano CPU in dual, tri and quad-core versions.
    Lynx is the new mainstream desktop platform that combines the Hudson D2 and D3 desktop chipsets and Llano CPU in dual, tri and quad-core versions.
    Brazos is the new netbook platform that combines a lighter Hudson M1 mobile chipset and single-core Ontario or dual-core Zacate CPU.
    There is also a Value Lynx desktop platform which is a desktop (mITX or similar) Brazos and Hudson D1 chipset.

I really wish that the article made some of this clear when codenames are so confusing.

17. HourBeforeDawn

do'h thats right llando is part of a structured setup well still what is demoing is still pretty impressive.

18. Snips

But still no comparisons or full spec details?

19. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Having said that, I don't think Llano sucks down the juice too much. Take a look at the development board that AMD is running the demo on.

Tiny copper laptop style HS and blower fan set-up. So you could estimate that it would be about 30-40w or so at most. Given the fact that specifications aren't fixed and clock speeds probably aren't very high yet, I think Llano is looking pretty good.

On desktop though, I'll be looking out for Bulldozer demonstrations!

20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Here's another action-shot from the Llano dev-board running the Alien vs. Predator demo...

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/3980/Llano.jpg

If it's anywhere around 45 Watt with the CPU-power of an intel i3-5xx and the GPU-power of a 5450 then we all can be very happy with this actually, as it would cut energyconsumption by 50% overall.

Tags: Add Tags