1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ben Heck builds WASD-replacement footpedals

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. iggy

iggy Minimodder

can i just get a strategic commander for my foot instead of buttons please?

this would then leave the other foot free for a fire button. or jump. possibly both.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Apr 2014
  3. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I'm disabled so I use FragPedals so I can use my feet for keyboard shortcuts. They are not that well made and pretty expensive for what they are. They also take a lot of getting used to.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Not sure my feet are as fast as my fingers...they feel slower.

wasd linked to brainwaves....thats what I need.

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I don't think those pedals are designed to replace WASD (in fact, Ben himself says that's not their purpose) but allocating other commands to them like he does in the video with Titanfall looks very useful.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2014
  6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Christ. I see what you mean. I smell a modding challenge!

EDIT: Ben Heck's design seems needlessly complicated.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You need to read that part with the knowledge that my tongue was very firmly in my cheek as I wrote it...

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Fair enough, but you go on to say, "The result, Heck claims, is a natural-feeling control system that allows for forward, backward and strafing motion without the need to lock the left hand to the WASD cluster." :confused:

In the video he only uses them for forwards - backwards - l/strafe - r/strafe in early testing but says that's not what they're designed to do.

9. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Instead of partial/heavier press, I thought it would've been more natural to have a toe/heel press for each key, as well as pivoting your foot left and right for an extra two keys. Then you could map wasd to a single foot and map other movement keys to your other foot i.e jump, sprint, walk and crouch.

10. Gareth Halfacree

But they *can* do that, and he demonstrates exactly that; yes, they can be mapped to any other four activities - but so could the WASD keys. If, y'know, you want to fight thirty years of muscle memory...

(Incidentally, I was alerted to the video by Farnell's PR agency, which sent it over with the title "Beyond WASD: Foot Pedals for PC Gaming," influencing the angle I took with the piece. That and my desire to show off that I KNOW WHERE WASD CAME FROM!)

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Sure, they *can* do that, but where does Heck claim it "..is a natural-feeling control system that allows for forward, backward and strafing motion without the need to lock the left hand to the WASD cluster"?

At least twice in the video he says that's what they're NOT designed to do.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Perhaps that sentence is badly-phrased: Heck is claiming that it "is a natural-feeling control system." I'm then pointing out that it can be used - as he does in the video - to control motion without needing to lock the hand to the WASD cluster, which ties it in to the tongue-in-cheek "we'll all be gaming with our feet this time next Wednesday" theme of the article.

Here, I'll go and edit it for you, make it two separate sentences.

EDIT: "The result, Heck claims, is a natural-feeling control system. It allows for forward, backward and strafing motion without the need to lock the left hand to the WASD cluster, although Heck states that he sees it as being of more use mapped to other in-game functions."

Better?

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I think so, thanks Gareth.

14. Gareth Halfacree

No worries - thanks for helping me make the piece read more clearly!

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

As a member of the arrow key using master race, I'm offended at the slant of your article.
    Personally I'd rather have a footpad to mash function keys. That would be a lot easier than fumbling for a medkit when both hands are occupied and the situation is dicey.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Arrow keys? Unclean! UNCLEAN! (Unless you're a lefty, in which case understandable! UNDERSTANDABLE!)

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You just hate us because our superior keyboard positioning.

18. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

19. Gareth Halfacree

I still play it:

[​IMG]

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Looking at the key config screen in that Mazogs video, isn't it "W, A, D and X or W, S, H and J"? :p