1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress DIY Projector box [SIXTH UPDATE - Electronic bits and bobs arrived!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Picarro, 24 Feb 2012.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hello people!

I am the happy owner of a BenQ W1000+ projector. I have a problem though. Because of the layout of my room the BenQ is suspended from the ceiling and projects onto a screen in the opposite end of the room. That wouldn't be such a problem if the screen wasn't placed so high up the wall, that the projector needs to be pulled closer to the ceiling via a MacGyver like contraption of string.
    The other issue with the mount is that whenever someones touches the projector, it goes out of alignment. It's not a huge issue, but it's annoying none the less.

Therefore I came up with a solution. I will build a ceiling suspended cradle for my projector which will hold it, right side up, much closer to the ceiling while still being able to project onto the screen. The cradle will include a 92mm fan to make sure the hot air from the projector is expelled out the side of the cradle, and not back inside the projector. For this I will need to create a small circuit with a 12v relay that powers up when the projector powers up and powers down when the projector powers down. This will be accomplished by using the 12v trigger on the projector.

The first step was making a very rudimentary sketchup model to see if it would all fit.

[​IMG]

Heres a picture of the mount is it to replace. As you can see the projector is lowered quite a distance from the ceiling with this mount. I hope to rectify this with the new mount.

[​IMG]

I used 12 mm plywood to construct it. Mainly because it was what was in the shed at this time.

[​IMG]

I only started taking pictures after I was done building the actual case, therefore a quick shot of the whole thing. There is no bracing on the inside of the joints as I didn't believe this to be necessary. Time will tell though.

[​IMG]

Each side recieved 6 screws in 6 pre-drilled holes. I used a right angle to make sure it was as close to a 90 degree fit as I could get it.

You might notice that the blowhole from the Sketchup drawing is missing. In my rush I forgot to cut it. That will be rectified in the next update where I also hope to apply some filler to the case to get a smooth finish.

So long!

Last edited: 29 Feb 2012
  2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Yay - another update already!

Went to the shed and fixed the hole. Took a couple of minutes with the hand file before I remembered my Dremel 4000 in the desk drawer. Made quick work of the remaining wood.

I am in two minds as I don't know whether to make it all pretty and nice with filler but then not being able to take it apart, or just slap a load of white paint all over it and call it a day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

So, 3rd update. Managed to source some "bondo" (I don't know whether this is actually like bondo, but it will do the job) so I started filling out all of the cracks. I bought a can of white spray paint too so the finish will match the ceiling of my room. As you can see I first sanded the entire thing with my power-sander and then applied some bondo. As you can probably tell from the pictures I had to add a bit (ginormous amounts) more bondo at a later stage to fill all of the cracks.

Next step is to sand all of it down and apply yet more bondo to get a good even finish when I paint it.

Things to come:

- Fabricating the mount to hold it to my ceiling (2 pieces of wood and some screws)

- Ordering components for and fabricating the relay circuit that will control the fan in the mount so it turns on whenever the projector turns on, and turns off whenever I power off the projector.

- Bits and bobs for the case. I need a fan grill for the side of it, some noise dampening mount for the fan, a resistor for the fan so it runs at around 7v and I might put in some foam to dampen the entire projector a bit.

All of the stufff to be used for prepping it for paint
    [​IMG]

Applying the filler
    [​IMG]

1st layer of bondo on
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it fills the cracks nicely.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Feb 2012
  4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I like it. I foresee some sanding ahead.

the john

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

So - MOAR BONDO

No really. I sanded the entire thing and sure enough there was a couple of imperfections. I used my power sander at first and switched to the funny yellow guy on the images below for the edges and the finer sanding. A mask is a really great idea since the bondo turns into lunge-killing-dust. Also, I kept my DSLR in a drawer untill I needed to take images. No reason to get dust all over the mechanism in it. I gave the box a new layer of bondo, and it probably needs yet another layer or two. Originally I only wanted to bondo the outside of the box but as you can see some of the inside when it is mounted, it needs to have bondo on the inside too.

While this layer of bondo dries (and my DSLR recharges) I'll have a go at marking out the mounting points.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I use plaster on painted wood projects. It's cheaper.:D
    I demand more use of green piggy! -Better than a watermark!

7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

So, yours truly managed to make a mistake. The hole I cut for ventilation is all good and well for the exhaust. I just didn't take into account that I would need a hole for the intake too so I had to drill one.

Other than that I have got the mounting points put up in my ceiling. It's just two wooden bars fastened in the ceiling with two screws each. The outer spacing between them is just enough for the U shape of the mount to slip over. That way I can keep it fastened to the ceiling without visible mountings from the outside.

As you might have noticed I have sanded it for the last time and painted it. Spraypainting with a can is dead easy and gives a nice finish.

Edit: And just for you Cheaps, the pig is back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Cool project! :)

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is awesome, and very relevant because I'm in the exact same position. Have you thought about also adding some sound dampening/absorbing material? Not sure about yours but the fan on mine couldn't exactly be advertised as silent!

10. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Yup actually I have. At first I'll use it like this and see how having it in a box affect sound levels. If they improve dramatically it's great, if not I have a solution in mind. I might fabricate a back plate so any sound that escapes can only go towards the screen. That way it hopefully gets nullified when it hits the screen and the oncomming soundwaves from my surround system.

I have thought about adding foam to the box and I might end up doing it just to see how it affects the noise. In any case my projector will be mounted on some form of rubber cushions to prevent resonance in the wooden shell.

I have made holes for two cooling fans in the wooden box and I want to run them at 5-7v just to make sure they are silent. If I have no heat problems I might actually enclose the projector totally and leave cooling up to the intake and outtake fans in the wooden box.

I have always wanted to do a completely sealed system with just a small opening for the image and the rest of the projector sealed in a box with outside venting. Though that's probably gonna have to wait until I'm no longer living at my parents house :D

11. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Yet more progress!

I have mounted the projector mount in the ceiling and placed the projector in it. It looks absolutely terrific though I'll have to move my ceiling lamp as it now creates a 10x10cm shadow in the top right corner of the screen.

The projector runs quite hot but I've just made an order for a fan control relay that powers up a 60mm fan when the projector turns on, and powers it down when the projector turns off. The fan can be exchanged for a 120mm if I decide that the 60mm doesn't really cool enough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: Night shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Feb 2012
  12. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Electronic bits and bobs are ordered and the schematic is up:

[​IMG]

13. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Where are you getting the +12v to power the fans from?

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have a 12v, 1.2A wall adapter from which I can splice the wires.

15. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

And do you know how much current the fan draws?

16. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

0.27A so I should be in the safe zone even if some of the components draw more current than that.

17. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Yeah thats cool, that resistor may get a little warm dissipating 87mw but should be ok :)

18. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Yeah I know but my local resistor pusher was all out of 33 ohm 2w resistors so I thought a 1w would do. Otherwise I'll do some wizard-magickery with a serial + parallel connection of 4 resistors.

19. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

There was stuff in the mail this morning!

[​IMG]

20. immoral

immoral What's a Dremel?

Good job so far, may I ask what size screen it is you are using?

Thanks