1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tesco to deal in second hand games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Ha now I wonder how long until Game et al are complaining to the watchdog organisations about supermarkets running them out of business. Ah, who am I kidding, they're probably already banging on their office doors.

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

If they deal pc games too, then publishing companies either just except there will always be a second hand market (in the UK at least) and adjust their drm or go all out to kill second hand.

Let's face it, if that second hand title isn't like new for the next owner ....think available levels, characters ease and/or free access to multi-player... then Tesco will label it appropriately when the game is brand new... and there goes your No1 spot in the games charts!

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Looks like GAME really are going bankrupt.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I still find second hand games expensive at retail outlets. Do people actually buy them? Because half the time its cheaper to buy the game new. Especially at Game.

6. xalek

xalek What's a Dremel?

I've always found the best place to get second hand games cheap are at charity shops. Yes it takes time to find decent titles, but we you do your looking at a £1-2 price tag

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Asda will be doing the same thing soon. Granted, no idea when it will be rolled out, but being a Home and Leisure colleague, I can only see it being a ball ache :/

8. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

take the second hand market out and i would imagine the market for new games decreases as well. Simply that people often buy games safe in the knowledge that if they dont like it they can trade it in a few days later, and get a decent proportion of your money back. If the value of your game drops the 0 the moment you buy it, suddenly you have to think harder about whether you really want it.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Old news surely, Tesco in Merthyr has been selling 2nd hand games for well over a month now.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

ross has a valid point in a way but the biggest purchases of games are still 18-24 year olds with alot of loose cash, I have about 100 AAA list titles for the last 3 years to still play through ( was too addicted to wow lol) 99% of them are still wrapped in the orginal packaging and have never been opened lol

11. puck

puck What's a Dremel?

I find it interesting that generic box shifters such as the supermarkets would really be interested in the second hand games market.

I mean when I go into my local soul destroyer the games aren't even anywhere near the consoles. The consoles are in the electrical department and the games are in the music department. Not really that gamer friendly!

The thing is that's where the growth is at the moment. So typical supermarket tactics, find the growth, dominate, crush the opposition, hog the market.

Ultimately it will be the consumer that suffers. Welcome to the world of the empty high street.

12. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

when the stuff hits the fan and the economy hits the wall or floor , you can take your old games and get yourself some food lol ,secon-hand food probably .

13. puck

puck What's a Dremel?

Already feels like most of it is! A £1.99 sandwich tastes like I'm eating two *REALLY* old one pound notes!!!

14. fev

fev Industry Fallout

You were one of the sample stores :)

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

:hehe: That would explain it then.

16. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

Has anyone been in Gamestation recently? Preowned games outnumber new games by about 3:1. just saying...

17. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

CEX are offering £21 for Red Dead Redemption trade in, and whilst their prices aren't particularly indicatiive of the overall market (since they only deal in second hand and their prices are higher) it does at least show that Tesco aren't undercutting as such.

I buy all of my PS3 games second hand and its waaaay cheaper, but I would never buy them from Game, HMV etc. I go to either grainger games, or I have something to trade in I go to CEX. I even got my PS3 secondhand -£25 and a load of old junk trade in :)

18. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

First of all, thankyou all for making me lose The Game.

Secondly, does this mean I can get the weekly shop and a cheap game? >.<

19. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

No it means when you go to tesco with £50 for the weeks shopping instead you come back with 2 preowned games, the kids starve, the misses then leaves and finally your free to spend all your newly acquired free time rotting away in front of some 40" 1080 goodness. live the dream.

20. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Yes, it also means you could trade in your old games to pay for your shopping

Tags: Add Tags