1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Blizzard announce Hearthstone

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 23 Mar 2013.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

2. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

My first thoughts were the same as mentioned at the end of the article: they already have a trading card game, will this use the same cards? It's hard not to be cynical and assume it won't.

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I very much doubt it will use the same cards. LCGs and CCGs these days are just a license to print money and there are so many of them.

I go to a Board Game group on a Saturday and they also host 'card wars' - the amount of people there playing Magic and the like shows that there is market for it.

You are right to be cynical!

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Got my beta key today - I approach with a healthy dose of trepidation and cynicism!

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I got my beta key earlier this week too, I keep forgetting to log in and register.

7. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

want to share how to get beta keys for this one? love to try it on my own hands too.. thanks.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

As a previous player of WoW and owner of a few other Blizzard games, I got an invite via an email - this was a long time ago now though. Perhaps you can still register on the Heathstone web site? There's a link in the top two posts.

After an hour or so of playing it, it is pretty average. I think I would rather play it with physical cards, but at least this is good if you can't find an opponent. Some of the card effects are quite groovy, but nothing that I haven't seen in a lot of other battle card games.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2013
  9. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Does anyone have a spare key? Been signed up to the opt in since May and am still waiting....

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I just signed up to the beta on the battle.net website a few months ago, and also entered one of the competitions that were running on facebook/twitter/hearthstone blog and got emailed a code on the 25th.

It seems a little broken at the moment (unless that's just my internet connection) where it will hang on the start screen or between matches.

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I haven't experienced it hanging yet. From an implementation point of view I found it pretty slick but unfortunately also pretty dull.

I play quite a lot of card games (Sentinels of the Multiverse, Legendary, Thunderstone Advance, Pathfinder, Race for the Galaxy etc) and I think I prefer playing with physical cards - even playing solo.

12. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

Currently it looks like people with HS access are more likely to get a key sent to them.
    So if anyone does get a spare please consider me.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I got through 4 of the tutorial matches before it froze on me. A quick check of the forums shows it seems to be a known problem.

As to the game itself, I think the fact you only get dealt 2 cards at the start (unless this is only for the tutorials) limits how much choice you have in strategy (basically seems to be wait long enough to generate mana to summon your monster/spell decide whether to attack opponents monster or life points directly)

14. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Looks fun, Signed up to the beta just to bring back them epic gaming memory's of wow

15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I expect that this will vary per character as they develop the game. Otherwise, as you said there's not much of a choice about what to do. I would at least like to see some combo effects where cards have different effects on other cards, or perhaps cards that generate mana. At the moment it is pretty obvious what cards to play. A agree though, the tutorial may not be indicative of actual gameplay!

16. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Anyone playing the beta?

17. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Upon playing the beta, the game either really sucks or im either rather unskilled

brb my turn, brb ai has 5 turns -.0

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I played it briefly but didn't find it all that special. I play a lot of board and card games and this one just didn't really have anything special to make it stand out. It seems to me more of a design thrown up around a marketing idea rather than a game design born of years of development.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

I play it during queue times on league the game is good for quick bursts games take less than 10mins and its free also helps.

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've played it occasionally (when I've remembered about it).

It's okay, found it slightly frustrating that you need to beat the characters in training sessions before you're allowed to play as that character type though.